Narre Warren/Berwick/Beaconsfield

Guest Mike&Fiona

Guest Mike&Fiona

In the continual internet housing hunt we seem to be closing in on Narre Warren/Berwick/Beaconsfield. Mainly due to rail links to where I will be working in Mulgrave and the bigger, more modern houses available compaired to areas closer to the city. We believe you get more for your dollar out there.

So whats good or bad about the areas? Schools ? Amenities ? crime ? Too far out for commuting ? too far from the beach ? Roads? Any areas to avoid ? Is it generally seen as an affluent area or tarnished with the same brush as Dandenong?

Looks like we will be heading out end of feb.

Mike

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Mike

How are you?

My personal favourite of the 3 is Berwick as there is a choice of housing for everyone. It is close to Fountain Gate Shopping Centre and 30 minutes from a choice of beach.

I wrote some information about Berwick yesterday on this link: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/general-dilemmas/50531-advice-areas.html

Narre Warren itself is an older style area and if you are looking in Narre Warren I would go for Narre Warren South or Narre Warren North. If you like the look of new housing Narre Warren South has the Berwick Springs Estate, a beautiful landscaped estate with lakes and parks. A lot of people choose NWS over Berwick because property prices are a little cheaper yet they are so close together.

Beaconsfield is another lovely area with some beautiful acreage property.

Berwick, Beaconsfield, NWN and NWS are seen as very popular areas and there are lots of multi million dollar properties in each area.

There are no downsides to any of these suburbs and no I don't live in any of them lol, I have just lived in the area for 4 1/2 years.

Crime rate is low, the only issue you will find is that if you are driving to the CBD on the Monash it can be a crawl at rush hour, but then wherever you live rushhour can be nightmares.

Hope this helps.

Kate

Guest Bertie

Hiya

we were the same as you looking at the three areas whilst still in UK, we chose Berwick for me it had the nicest feel with the high street and bigger new builds. The only downside for me is that we are in south Berwick and its too far to walk to the school (about 50 mins with the kids) there is a new primary school been built near us, I think its due to open soon but my kids love thier school and have made loads of friends so I am keeping them where they are.

We can get to the beach in 30 mins and there are plenty of parks around here. Out of the areas we have been to since we came 10 months ago I still believe we made the right decision.:biggrin:

Guest Mike&Fiona
Hiya

we were the same as you looking at the three areas whilst still in UK, we chose Berwick for me it had the nicest feel with the high street and bigger new builds. The only downside for me is that we are in south Berwick and its too far to walk to the school (about 50 mins with the kids) there is a new primary school been built near us, I think its due to open soon but my kids love thier school and have made loads of friends so I am keeping them where they are.

We can get to the beach in 30 mins and there are plenty of parks around here. Out of the areas we have been to since we came 10 months ago I still believe we made the right decision.:biggrin:

We should be arriving in Melbourne late Feb early March and will have a serious look at Berwick when we get there, we just seem to have a good feeling about it at the moment. Out of interest what primary school did you choose? We have 2 girls 11 & 9 so I presume that will be grade 6 and grade 3, but we also have to keep in mind the secondary education situation as our eldest will be due to start high school in Jan 2010. I have looked at the Berwick Primary School website and it looks good but I can't quite seem to get the link to work on the Berwick Secondary College website.

Fiona

Guest Bertie

my kids are 11 and 9 too and go to Berwick primary. they love it and have settled really well, there are loads of Brits go to that school. we have just started looking at secondary schools and are going to look at a few when they go back to school.

Guest Mike&Fiona
my kids are 11 and 9 too and go to Berwick primary. they love it and have settled really well, there are loads of Brits go to that school. we have just started looking at secondary schools and are going to look at a few when they go back to school.

That is really encouraging to hear. It would help them settle in i think knowing there have been other newbies to the school also. They are both really quiet girls and I do worry about them, I think they would probably stay where they are given the chance. Do you know if the majority of the children that leave the primary school go to the same secondary or do they all go off in different directions. Where we live at the moment everyone from the primary goes to the same secondary but I get a feeling Melbourne is probably not like this. We will definately visit Berwick Primary when we get there end of Feb. I know they will miss the start of the new term but that can't be helped due to husband's start date with his job. Is it a big school, how are the class sizes? Sorry to go on, I could go and go with more questions but I wont.

Thanks

Archived