Sign in to follow this  
Guest Roger Gossett

Obtaining permanent residence/citizenship

Guest Roger Gossett

Hi,

I've just joined PomsInOz and would like to tell you something about why.

My wife and I have a daughter who has just married an Australian and moved to Australia.

I thought she would be able to apply for Australian citizenship as soon as married, but she says that first she needs to apply for permanent residence and that will, hopefully, be granted after two years from the date of marriage.

Does anybody else have a similar experience. It seems a lot easier over here in the UK, and there is no compulsory two year wait.

Roger

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MrsWayLay17
        Hello,
        I am new here but have been a lurker for a few weeks.  I am an Australian citizen who has been living in the UK with my now-husband for 15 years (i am a dual citizen). We got married last month in Queensland and have now come back to the UK. We've decided to move to Australia permanently with our two children in 2019 and I wanted to get the ball rolling with his visa. 

Am i right in thinking that he applies NOW for his temp visa ... which then eventually will turn into the permanent one? I can apply for this visa now even though we won't be there for another 19 months?  Our children will have citizenship via me so i won't need to do anything with them besides get their Aust passports sorted out.
        If anyone else has done this, i'd love to hear from you. I understand the visas can take up to 3 years to obtain so now is a good time to start right??  Do some people wait until they're IN Australia? $7,000 is a lot of money! 

Thank you for reading! 
      • By UKFrann
        Hi all,
        I have just left Australia after doing an exchange program from my home University in the UK for one year on a Student-Working visa. 
        I have a question regarding Superannuation (DASP). I am completely at grips with the ATO and Tax return (already claimed this for the year 2016/17) and that I am entitled to claim my Superannuation back via the DASP online system.
        My question (and I am unsure as to whether this is a myth or not) is whether would claiming my Superannuation for the past year affect any future chances of myself re-entering Australia with the intention of living there permanently one day on a different visa and starting to earn Superannuation again?
        I understand this is perhaps quite vague but my bottom-line question is if I claim back my Super now, will I be able to apply for a Working visa in the future and be able to extend this eventually to permanent residency/citizenship and start a new superannuation fund?
        Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
      • By Brit2866
        So I'm wanting to move to Australia, permanently. I plan to get a two yearly working holiday visa, and then after this - what are my options? 
        I'm an exotic dancer so I really don't have a career path. While in Australia I'd like to do some beauty courses. Ultimately I'd like to set up my own business which is very doable, weather it's mobile, in home or small store.
        Is there a visa for me to start a small business and stay in Australia after the two year working holiday visa? Or what are my options, if any, to permanently move and live in Australia?
      • By Nic D
        Hi there,
        I'm hoping someone can help me please!
        I'm currently on a 457 visa but have started the process with my employer to apply for Permanent Residency. I'm married to an Australian Citizen and having our 1st baby in September 2017.  I'm not entitled to Paid Parental Leave from the government whilst on a 457 visa and my permanent residency will not be granted before the baby is born.  You can however claim paid parental leave up until the child is 52 weeks old.  My question is, can I apply for paid parental leave within that 52 week period if my PR visa is granted even though I was on a 457 when the child was born? 
        Any help or advice is much appreciated :-) 
        Nicole