Dual Citizenship

Guest la74

Hi All,

wondered if you could help me out.

I am looking into getting dual citizenship, i currently live in england but want to move to oz and have been told by my sister who is australian and lives out there to apply for dual citizenship.

I am 34 and my father was an australian citizen when i was born, he died a few years ago and i don't know if this affects my application.

Would just like some advice as to the application have been on the website and find it a little unclear on if you are applying for citizenship by descent is deceased.

Also my sister has said that she would sponsor us is this helpful.

Just want to know if i would be accepted for dual citizenship and also if i did would my children and husband be entitled to move to oz with me?

Thanks for your help

Laura

x

Guest scot-aussie-scot

Hi,

I have dual nationality after having lived in Oz for 5 years in my teens, I have been able to pass that on to my 2 children "by descent". Unless my kids go and live in Oz they cannot pass it on to any children that they would have in future.

You should still be able to get citizenship by descent, the fact that your father has passed away should not have any bearing. But.... I'm not sure about your husband and children as you would be "australian by descent" - I really don't know about that. Why not send an email to the Australian consulate (I wouldn't phone them (last resort) as it costs a few bob)?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Laura

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Your father's death is irrelevant to the question. You would merely be asked for a copy of his Death Certificate. The only issue is whether he was an Australian Citizen at the time of your birth, which you say he was.

The crucial piece of information which you have not supplied, though, is where were you born? If you were born in Australia then you are an Australian Citizen by birth:

Citizenship by birth

If you were born outside Australia then from what you have told us you are eligible to apply for Citizenship by descent :

Citizenship by descent

You will need to sort out your Citizenship first and get an Aussie passport. Then you will need to get a Spouse visa for Hubby and the children will be included in his visa.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived