457 Visa medicals

Guest grantspants

Guest grantspants

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have a question if anyone could help me please.

I've been offered a job in WA on a 457 Temporary Business Visa for 4 years, and I know I have to get X-rays done (both myself and my wife have done this already), but I keep reading conflicting stuff online about medicals.

For this visa, do we require a medical or not?

I have one booked anyway for 23rd December for us both, but I've read some posts that say this isn't necessary. The company are willing to nominate us for PR in 2 years if everything goes ok, so I would assume we'd have to have medicals done then too.

Can anyone advise me correctly?

many thanks:biggrin:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi! I just wanted to welcome you to PomsinOz - it's a great site!!!

Unfortunately I can't help with your question but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can...!

Lots of Luck with all of your plans...!!!

Dan :emoticon-signxmas:

Guest Yorkie1974

Yes you require an x-ray and medical for this visa from a panel approved doctor / radiology department. Sub Class 457 however does not require blood tests. In some cases where a pre-employment medical has been performed prior to an immigration medical, particularly in safety critical work where medical standards are very strict and include drug and alcohol screening, then this medical may be used in place of the immigration medical for the primary applicant.

Guest grantspants

Thanks for the quick responses folks :)

Thats an interesting point you raise there Yorkie. It is a safety critical post I am going to, and the medical for that is separate and more intensive. I have that medical already booked for a week after the visa one. How would I find out if the pre-employment medical would suffice for the visa too?

Also my wife is coming with me on the 457 visa, so if my pre-employment medical did cover me for both then, would my wife still need a visa medical of her own?

Its all getting really complex lol

Thanks again

Guest Yorkie1974

You will as well to ask your migration agent / employer if that would be possible for you to do depending how quickly the results of your pre-employment medical are processed. Your wife will still need her own visa medical as a secondary applicant.

Personally, as your pre-employment falls after the visa medical, I would not encourage delay and go for the visa medical anyway.

What safety critical post are you applying for?

Guest mackemsok
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have a question if anyone could help me please.

I've been offered a job in WA on a 457 Temporary Business Visa for 4 years, and I know I have to get X-rays done (both myself and my wife have done this already), but I keep reading conflicting stuff online about medicals.

For this visa, do we require a medical or not?

I have one booked anyway for 23rd December for us both, but I've read some posts that say this isn't necessary. The company are willing to nominate us for PR in 2 years if everything goes ok, so I would assume we'd have to have medicals done then too.

Can anyone advise me correctly?

many thanks:biggrin:

Hi There

I agree there is alot of conflicting information on these sites, we too have applied for a 457 visa - Scott my hubby has been offered a job in the University of WA and they are sponsoring our visa. I emailed the application on 19th November, I am not using an agent (hope i don't regret it). We were asked to go for our medicals, and when i downloaded the forms they only requested x-rays. So we went for our x-rays on 12th December, on 16th December our visa update said that the medicals were received and finalised - apart from our youngest daughter who is 12 - not sure why her's hasn't been received am going to chase tomorrow. So in my opinion there is no need for full medicals for a 457 visa, unless i have missed something (also the doctors were going to charge us £180 each so I am happy we didnt go ahead with them). Have you applied yet?

If you apply on line they guide you through the process and so far so good for me.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on - if you like i can keep you updated on our progress

Kind regards

Sharon, Scott, Kirstie and Jess

Guest grantspants

Thanks for that Yorkie, I think i'll take your advice :)

The position is for a Train Driver (Freight), they have made an offer of employment, just the paperwork to do.

many thanks

Guest Yorkie1974

Well I may see you out there. Just look out for a suspiciously milky white legged pom dangling from the OLE. I'm moving out with my family in the new year after landing a job with the PTA electrification department in Perth.

Guest grantspants

Hi Mackemsok,

No I haven't applied for the visa myself, the company (I think this is correct) do all that for us.

I honestly don't really know the order of things that I should do. The company reimburse us for all the costs of medicals, but they sort out the actual visa I believe.

I have had x-rays done, 2 x visa medicals booked, 1 x pre-employment medical booked (1 week later). After that I'm not sure what happens really, not been given much guidance yet.

But thanks yeah, I'll let u know how I go, and likewise keep me up-to-date with yours.

I need all the help I can get!

Thanks again

Guest mackemsok
Hi Mackemsok,

No I haven't applied for the visa myself, the company (I think this is correct) do all that for us.

I honestly don't really know the order of things that I should do. The company reimburse us for all the costs of medicals, but they sort out the actual visa I believe.

I have had x-rays done, 2 x visa medicals booked, 1 x pre-employment medical booked (1 week later). After that I'm not sure what happens really, not been given much guidance yet.

But thanks yeah, I'll let u know how I go, and likewise keep me up-to-date with yours.

I need all the help I can get!

Thanks again

Hi there - let me tell you my journey so far you may find it useful............

Once the company sponsored us they applied to nominate us, at the same time they sent us our contract which we signed. They then got a nomination TRN (transaction reference number) which they sent to us. With that number we were able to start the on-line visa application process (19.11.08). I can honestly say it was not difficult to complete - we were then issued with our own TRN number which is what I use when i check the progress (which is everyday;-) I received an email 1.12.08 asking us for more information - which was birth certificates, marriage certs, copies of passports. and other stuff relating to our situation. I scanned all these on-line and emailed them. They then asked for our medicals and I was able to download the medical forms - which only requested x-rays. We went to the nearest centre to us on 12.12.08 which do it on-line (for us it was York which is not near to us but we felt it was worth the journey). On 16.12.08 the update showed that the medicals were received and finalised - all bar our youngest daughter which i am going to investigate tomorrow. So as far as I can see i have submitted everything they want and am waiting for the next request (or dare i say a decision).

All i can say is go on the immi web site - and work through the application form - its not too bad.

I am hoping and praying that we get some good news in the New Year.

I have been informed that 457 visa's take priority - which is good as Scott is supposed to start work in February.

Good luck I hope you found this useful.

regards

Sharon

Guest Hearne_Family

We have applied and recieved our 457 visa's Rachel - my wife - and I both needed chest x-rays and our children 1 and Three needed medicals that consisted of height measured, head circumfrence measured and weight taken! I hope this helps, I know there is a lot of conflicting info out there but as we have got our Visa's I thoght this might reassure you!

Terry

Guest grantspants

Thanks for that info, all very interesting. I've just taken a look thru my paperwork and the company will use an immigration agent apparently, so I guess that means I don't do it online myself?

Also, I assume they will wait for the pre-employment medical results, because there is no point in them paying for a visa until they know i've passed the medical.

It's a slightly different situation to yours in some ways I think, but I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks v.much

Guest mackemsok

I would say save your money and wait until you are asked for them - looking at the post above only the children need medicals - which is why i think our 12 year old is not finalised yet -

I know it can be confusing but I am confident you wont need them - x-rays are all you need for 457, if i hear back anything different i will let you know

Sharon

Guest Hearne_Family

To Confirm...Adults only needed chest x-rays and the children only needed measuring as detailed in my above post, Im not sure if this is the same in every 457 case but I cant see it differing too much, I would wait until you are asked to get medicals/x-rays done.

Terry

Guest grantspants

Thanks Sharon,

I think i'll phone the panel doctor tmw ahead of the visa medical on Tuesday and ask him if it is definitely required for this type of visa. I'm gonna contact the company later tonight as well to see if they have any information on it. Maybe that is why they haven't mentioned the visa medical, only the pre-employment one.

I will let you know how I get on.

And I want to say thanks again, for everyones help and advice, I really need it. These are the sort of things I don't want to get wrong.

Thank u all ;)

Guest Yorkie1974
Thanks Sharon,

I think i'll phone the panel doctor tmw ahead of the visa medical on Tuesday and ask him if it is definitely required for this type of visa. I'm gonna contact the company later tonight as well to see if they have any information on it. Maybe that is why they haven't mentioned the visa medical, only the pre-employment one.

I will let you know how I get on.

And I want to say thanks again, for everyones help and advice, I really need it. These are the sort of things I don't want to get wrong.

Thank u all ;)

Yes you both take medicals for immigration. As your pre- employment medical falls after the visa medical I advise fully you both attend.

I am with Network Rail am migrating to Perth to work on OLE with the PTA on the same 457. My friend and collegue is also migrating and required his visa medical as it fell after his pre-employment medical.

After a railway 'safety critical' medical required for this type of work, blood and urine samples will take a further week to clear. Don't expect privacy on the urine test either.

If you have emailed your agent or employer sources of competencies and certificates then your application will be lodged electronically by the agent. The agent may request additional competency certificates. Let them do the chasing and you chase up on them.

Typically, once visa medicals are in and competence and skill certificates are in, it will take around 3 weeks to clear. You should receive visa approvals from your agent via email. Print them and keep copies of the approvals you will need them.

Do not hold back or delay it will only hold back your application. Ask your agent directly what they require from you and give it on request.

From one railwayman to another, I know exactly the process you are undertaking and have completed the best part of it and now have my visas.

Shout if you need any help.

Guest Yorkie1974

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf

Visa health requirements for the S/C 457 -

I see what you mean mackemsok about the x-ray unless health is of special significance for a stay over 12 months on a 457.

The Public Transport Authority in WA requested that all my family had medicals and x-rays and the same with my workmate who is also migrating.

If the visa medical has been requested by the migration agent / employer I would certainly attend.

Guest mackemsok
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf

Visa health requirements for the S/C 457 -

I see what you mean mackemsok about the x-ray unless health is of special significance for a stay over 12 months on a 457.

The Public Transport Authority in WA requested that all my family had medicals and x-rays and the same with my workmate who is also migrating.

If the visa medical has been requested by the migration agent / employer I would certainly attend.

HI there

Well done on gettting your visa's I am keeping my fingers crossed that ours come in the New Year.

Which part of Perth are you off to?

Are you taking some time off before you start work?

My hubby will come over initially in Feb (all being well) then me and our daughters will come over in June after kids exams.

Are you feeling sad/happy about Christmas - we are all getting quite emotional because we know its the last one in the UK - what a rollacoaster ride!

Take care and keep in touch

Sharon

Guest Yorkie1974
HI there

Well done on gettting your visa's I am keeping my fingers crossed that ours come in the New Year.

Which part of Perth are you off to?

Are you taking some time off before you start work?

My hubby will come over initially in Feb (all being well) then me and our daughters will come over in June after kids exams.

Are you feeling sad/happy about Christmas - we are all getting quite emotional because we know its the last one in the UK - what a rollacoaster ride!

Take care and keep in touch

Sharon

Hi

I'm sure your visas will come soon. I have no idea what part of Perth we will end up in though we have some areas in mind. For response purposes I have to be within 30 minutes of Claisebrook Depot so I'm guessing the outer suburbs are out of the question.

We were allocated a relocation company who are overseeing the move and providing, flights, shipping, temporary accommodation intitially and then helping us find a long term rental so I can't complain at the relocation package offered.

I actually glad that things delayed slightly for a move in the new year so we can see family for a final UK Christmas. (For a while at least)

On the other hand, we've been through many trials and troubles to get this far and we're all itching just to finally go.

We're very fortunate that all of the family on both sides have been very supportive and envious too to a degree. We're also lucky to have family in Australia, though they're in Brisbane but its nice to know we have their support and we have people to visit should we take a trip away to QLD.

You're right about it being a rollercoaster ride and stressful too. Which part are you moving to?

Guest grantspants

Thanks Yorkie,

My employer has indeeed said that I will need a visa medical too. Thats fine, just want it all done and dusted now.

I won't be in the big smoke like yourself though, I'll be going way way down south to Esperance.

The company can only employ for regional areas on these visas. But thats fine by me and my wife, we're looking forward to a slower pace of life and maybe in the future we may decide to move around a bit. Just getting the start and having the opportunity is the main thing.

Thanks for all your advice Yorkie, and too everyone here thats helped us, we really appreciate it.

Fingers crossed that all goes well now, if we couldn't go at this late stage, after all the interviews and assessments i've done then i would truly be gutted.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest PaulxDee

Hi everyone,

I'm new to pomsinoz and need a little help please, I'm being sponsored on the visa 457 to WA and my Hubby and daughter of 10 months are coming too. i've just been advised we have to have x rays done and my daughter needs to have a medical. Do i have to go private to have this done? if so where do we go? or can i go through my GP and pay for it? Please help need to know ASAP.

:confused:

Thankyou

Dee xxx

Guest mackemsok
Hi everyone,

I'm new to pomsinoz and need a little help please, I'm being sponsored on the visa 457 to WA and my Hubby and daughter of 10 months are coming too. i've just been advised we have to have x rays done and my daughter needs to have a medical. Do i have to go private to have this done? if so where do we go? or can i go through my GP and pay for it? Please help need to know ASAP.

:confused:

Thankyou

Dee xxx

Hi Dee

You will need to download the doctors on the preferred list at the DIAC and then choose one that is closest to you. You and your hubby will need x-rays not your daughter - I would highly recommend you go to a centre who does the x-rays on-line as it saves loads of time. We paid £80 per x-ray and £140 for our daughters medical. You will only need a medical if you are going into a hospital/school environment. Your own doctors cannot do the medical as they need to be on the DIAC list.

Good luck honey let me know how you get on

Sharon:hug:

Guest PaulxDee

Thank you so much i'll get on to it tomorrow and thanks for the online tip. Hoping to get there ASAP so it all helps.

:jiggy:

Dee xx

Archived