Launceston

Guest Lingster

Guest Lingster

hi there all,

Me. my better half and 2 daughters 15yrs and 2 have just moved to Perth WA Nov 5 08,great eh, however i have been offered a job in Launceston Tas and know nothing about the place, it look pretty nice and houses seem cheap but can anyone shed some light on the education for yrs 11 and 12 and cost of living we would rent a 4x2 and been offered $24hr is this good gas pipe layer or not for over there any advice or opinions would be great thanx

:biggrinxmas::emoticon-signxmas:

Launceston is a nice place with some very good schools whether you are looking for Public or private education. I can't comment on the hourly rate for gas pipe fitters but it looks a good rate. I know the state is very short of gas fitters so may be its up for negotiation.

I live about 80K from Launceston and I don't find the cost of living much dearer than anywhere else in Oz especially if you buy the local produce rather than the imported goods from the mainland. Its a lovely place and close to excellent wineries, National parks, good beaches and water sports and a pleasant climate that doesn't get as hot as Perth.

My best wishes if you choose to come and find Australias best kept secret.

Colin :emoticon-signxmas:

Guest Alan-Hobart

Hello,

Launceston is totally different to Perth. It is a small country town, although the locals may beg differently.

Climate is good in summer, but because it is in a valley, in winter there is heavy ground fog which does not clear until 10-11 am and can be quite cold and depressing.

No problem with education there would be plenty of good schools.

$24 an hour is not bad but I presume it is just a contract job for the recent gas pipe that has been laid across Bass Strait and now being connected around the state. This pipeline is not going to many areas, there has to be sufficient people in the area to be viable, very often the numbers are not there. It is also being connected to some of the large industries.

Tas does not have a large industrial base like the larger states so work can be up & down here.

I would have thought a pipelayer in WA would get more than $24/hr

If you moved here with furniture the relocation costs would very high.

What is wrong with Perth.

regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PommieLady

We did it in 07 and to be honest the price wasn't bad, although of course it depends who you get to do your removals. From memory I think it was about $10,000 for 3x2 contents, 1 car, 1 ute & 3 small dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kelly1968red

Hi There,

My Family and I are planning to move to Perth, by the end of the year. We are going through a agent at the minute and not sure what skill we are going over as. I am a Gas Main/Service layer, and a water main/Service layer. Looking at your thread, are you a Gas fitter or main layer. What

skill test did you have to do! Any help would be appreciated. Tony

Archived