Gymnastic clubs help

Guest andyed

Hi,

After alot of discussion and soul searching we have finally decieded to take to follow our dream to OZ. We are so excited. We have a couple of questions. My OH is a nurse and has been offered an interview in Ashford hospital so we would be looking to live near by. Any suggestions on areas which have good schools. We have 3 boys aged 2, 3 and 7 years.

Also this may seem like a trivial question but is very impotant to us is there a good gymnastic club close by for our 7 year old. He is being coached by a ex olympic coach at the moment and his passion for his sport is so that it is a factor on where to locate to. This may sound a little sad but the move is to make us all happy and his interests we need to consider.

Cheers

Andy and Gang

Guest muppetbro

http://www.sa.gymnastics.org.au/

seems to be down the site at the moment but that should get you details / contacts....

pm me if you want more specific details - most clubs are recreational only a few compete and there is one centre of excellence - very different approach to coaching -

standard of competiton in s.a. is considerably lower than uk standards - but s.a. probably weakest state in oz titles....however was great to see so many kids (and boys) of all ages participating all the way up to adults - superb volunteer basis at club level in many sports - adults really do support their kids in sport down under...

great way to get kids integrated with ozzies as the better clubs are situated in areas where poms havent plagued - just dont expect uk club standards of etiquette / coaching.....took us a while but then we accepted the casual "no worries" approach and kids enjoyed their time......

happy to help further via pm - mart

• 3 weeks later...
Guest J-inOz

There are a few that I know of in the South, that are supposed to be alright.

There is one at Brighton, Marion and Funky Moves at Lonsdale.

Not had experience myself but I know of others that take their kids to them.

All these places are within half an hours drive from the Ashford, so I think it depends has to where you are going to live before you make your mind up as to which one you want to send them to.

I do know that my friends kids that go to Funky Moves have to compete in comps quite far away, they have had to drive for 5 hours before to get to some places.

Julie

Archived