What Asquith like?

Guest tracy.gosnold@virgin.net

Hi there,

Still in UK - partner been in OZ two weeks working, paying a small fortune living in rented accom. Been looking for places to live in Sydney suburbs and now I am even more confused than I was before I started DOH!!....

He is working North Shore of Sydney so was looking at Lindfield,Chatswood,Turramurra etc....and I didnt realise how expensive it is to rent in those areas!!!....Saw a really nice house in Asquith but cant find much about what it is like........can anyone help!!!!

Thanks

Trace

PS Have two daughters aged 16 and 10 so schools would be important

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tenquidder

Hi There

Asquith is a bit further out than the other places you mention, so not so expensive. However, it is on the train line and you can get to the lower north shore in about 30 - 40 minutes (depending on exactly where your husband is working). Should be no problem with schools in the area. Other places in the vicinity and also on the train line are Hornsby (big retail centre), Waitara and Mt Colah.

Hi there,

Still in UK - partner been in OZ two weeks working, paying a small fortune living in rented accom. Been looking for places to live in Sydney suburbs and now I am even more confused than I was before I started DOH!!....

He is working North Shore of Sydney so was looking at Lindfield,Chatswood,Turramurra etc....and I didnt realise how expensive it is to rent in those areas!!!....Saw a really nice house in Asquith but cant find much about what it is like........can anyone help!!!!

Thanks

Trace

PS Have two daughters aged 16 and 10 so schools would be important

I lived in Hornsby for several years. Asquith is a good place to live, so are Mt Colah, Ku-Ring Gai, Hornsby, Waitara and Berowra.

Pretty much most of the North Shore is good.

hiya all,

this is fraggles wife !

i have to agree with the above!i lived in berowra for couple of yrs in my teens and had a great time as not to far from the city and yet still far enough to not be in the the busier areas.there some good and bad areas but, like anywhere! im a great fan of north shore and of sydney! lol

thanks for that! It has all gone a bit belly up. OH was working for a consultancy firm on a 457 then decided to terminate him after a month! The children and I were supposed to follow in January! So, with only 28 days to find another job and Christmas looming he has come back home. We have sold cars, motor bike etc...However were gonna rent out our house until we were sure it was what we wanted to do permanently. I realise now that going to OZ on a 457 visa is a wee bit risky when you have children.

We are now having to rethink our plans, has been a costly experience but it could have been worse we could have our furniture in situ, three flights booked and a house that was rented out!!!

Just thought I would share our experience with you all

Cheers:tonguexmas:

Guest tenquidder

Hi

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know things aren't that brilliant in the UK, I was there in June and people were already talking about negative equity. But I've just been watching a local current affairs programme which described Sydney as the "basket case" of the Australian economy. It's doesn't have a resource-based economy unlike Perth or Brisbane, it's basically a finance and services economy, so it's feeling the brunt of the current financial crisis. On top of the that , the state government has demonstrated massive incompetence in managing its finances.

Don't get me wrong, Sydney is a beautiful city and offers a brilliant lifestyle, provided you are in work and can pay your way. In the good times, it's great, and I'm sure the good times will come back.

All the best

Archived