Should I - Should I not!!!!!

Guest NicciNoo

Guest NicciNoo

Hi there

Hope you are all well - as you have probably guessed, I am new on here and in need of help to aid my decision on moving to Melbourne!

My husband has been offered a job in Melbourne - near Dandenong. He has been offered a salary of $90000 with a car and our first 12 months rent paid! :yes:

I have read and heard that the cost of living isnt as cheap as you think in Australia - is this true? Is this a good comfortable wage? There would be three of us (we have a two year old son). He is ready to move however I am still very much reserved! I would move if it meant my son would have a better lifestyle.

Could anyone give me their cost of living for a family of 3-4? I know private medical insurance is expensive - about $80 per week?:wacko:

Thank you very much for your guidence!

Nic

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nic

Welcome to PIO, $90k is a good wage and depending on your current lifestyle you should be comfortable here. It would also depend which suburb you were heading for as rentals range drastically from $200 per week - $1000 a week. You can get a nice house in one of the South East Suburbs between $300 - $400 a week.

We have a 48 sq house, all open plan double storey and our electric bill is around $400 a quarter and gas is around the same. Our most expensive outcome is phone, broadband and mobile which costs us around $300 a month. Foxtel is approx another $80. Car Insurance around $45 a month. Food it really depends where you shop, we tend to make a few visits a week so I can't really give you an idea on shopping costs.

To be honest I would jump at it, especially with 12 months paid rental thrown in.

What does your OH do for a living?

We have been in Melbourne over 4 years and it is the best thing I ever did for my children.

Hope this helps

Kate

Guest NicciNoo

Hi Kate

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful, its good to know a few figures from real people - if you know what I mean.

I think we will go for it. We visited the area last week (only for a week mind you) and got back saturday 11th. So still very fresh in our minds - mind you sunday (yesterday) I found out I was expecting again :) so I am a bit scared about the possibility of a strange counry and being pregnant. Hubby mind you was grinning like a cheshire cat.

Keep well

Nic

Hubby is a designer.

Guest windsor

Hi Nicci. $90,000 I agree is a fantastic wage and you will more than be ok.. We don't have private medical but just your standard although paid $120 for the ambulance which is a must or could cost you a fortune.. We live in Berwick which isn't too far from Dandenong and go over that way a bit for shopping and farm.. Rent for a nice place is I would say $370 - $400 a week. I looked at some for less and vile.. Not to say they all are because there are probably some really nice ones but we didn't find any.. You need to shop around here to get the best deal and we always buy our meat from the butchers, wholesale or go to Melbourne market. I have a 2yr old son so perhaps when you get here we could meet up and I can help put your mind at ease.. We love it here..

Shani

Archived