Moving to Oz....

Guest Carrie

I think, like a lot of people before me, that you really have to put everything into perspective; both Uk and Oz.

My husband and I have been here just over 2 years now and have found it tough going. I hope to write as objectively as possible, as it would be easy to influence others with negativity. For anyone reading this, and contemplating moving over here, just remember that everyone's response is subjective and emotions tend to mould your responses to things.

We arrived in Adelaide in Nov. 2004. We stayed with an elderly aunt until Feb. 2005, then we moved into our own house. Our first impressions were bewilderment, as the geography is so very different here. I couldn't believe how far you can be away from a city and still be in the depths of suburbia. We decided we wanted a quieter life, as we lived in the countryside in the UK. We found a house on the internet in SE Oz and just moved to that area, after 1 visit. We bought our house outright, and used our finances to support ourselves. My husband eventually got work, but only casually. Then I got a F/T job. It was either one or the other, we couldn't both seem to be in employment. We both experienced what I can only describe as 'racism'so after 15 months, we moved to Queensland, after my husband applied for a job there. We have been here 8 months now, and I have only just started work - casually!! We have got a morgage this time, as the houses are dearer here. We still are on the emotional roller-coaster and are not fully settled here, too many reasons to list. We have contemplated moving back, but not made a final decision. Unfortunatley, in our personal case, family has reacted unfavourably. My parents and brother have severed ties and my husband's family are looking that way. There are benefits to moving here, again, too many to list. I would just say to anyone thinking about it: go for it, what have you got to lose? it may work and it may not but at least you have tried!

Archived