11 weeks to go

restfamily

We are off to Canberra in 11 weeks and I have no idea where to start...

What to take / leave behind? Particularly the fridge, washing machine, tvs, lawnmower??

Do I take the travel cot on the plane for my daugther or do I just buy her a bed when we arrive (she will be 22 months)? Is this easy enough or is it like England where you order and have to wait a few weeks for delivery?

Where shall we stay when we arrive? We are flying into Sydney and I thought maybe we should have a small holiday before we head to Canberra seen as we have to pay for a hotel there, but then wont we be keen to get there?! Fully furnished apartments seem to cost the earth anyone got any other ideas, someone suggested a caravan, but I am not sure if there are any and what the weather will be like.

Where do we buy a 2nd hand car? Is there many places to buy them in Canberra or should we get one in sydney?

What about rental cars - anyone know a good cheap one as we may need to rent for a while?

Do we use a relocation agent or is it easy enough to find somewhere / area to rent by yourself?

What level of private healthcare to get from day 1? I'm inclined to get the most comprehensive until I work out how medicare works, but that is an expensive option.

Where do I go to claim benefits / register with a doctor / get medicare?

... the list goes on.

Sorry for the long post, but my head is just filling with the sudden realisation its actually happening.

thanks

I'd love to help. I have 16 days before I leave and a lot of your questions are still to be answered.

I was told that it would be cheaper to rent a car at the airport than book one here if that's any help.

Hi Restfamily & Rbecca

don't know if you've been watching the daily "Wanted down under" show but one of the guys on there forgot to book a rental car before he left the uk and couldn't get one at the airport, ended up having to pay £60 for a taxi to where they were staying.

As for taking certain items, you know if it's likely to of come into contact with uk soil then it needs to be fumigated which you have to pay for, adding that to the cost of shipping I doubt if a lawnmower is really worth it.

The fridge, I think there's an issue with the gas it may use for refridgeration (not that I'm saying your fridge isn't electric :wink: )

TAKE A BREATH :D pour a glass of wine and sit down.

write a list and deal with one question at a time, im sure it will all fall into place in time. easy for me to say i know we are at the early stages and im sure in about a years time i will be posting the same as you

congratulations on your big move and live your dream :D

good luck

kelly

Guest FiremanMart

Rest Family,

Just a suggestion but one way you could save on your Hotel fee's / Car Rental is to do what we did when we visited Queensland Last year...Hire a Motorhome :?: . They are around the same cost as a hotel for the week BUT you get free transport thrown in, it is fully furnished and you can travel where you like with all the luxary you require. We had a full size shower, Aircon, Cooker, Microwave & Fridge etc. and Campsite fee's are really cheap...Plus it's great fun !!!

There are lots of websites you can visit from the UK with the prices, pictures of the Motorhomes and a list of everything supplied right down to cutlery and tea towels.

...Might just be one less thing to worry about when you get there.

Good luck in your new adventure, whatever you choose to do.

Thanks for the hints and tips. I'll look into the motor home thing.

I have found out you can take your fridge as long as it is CFC free, which most newish ones are.

Writing one very long list today and decided that deciding what money to take, which credit cards to keep etc is my next nightmare to worry about!

Thanks and good luck to you all

Archived