Tax on savigns

Guest Bob & Keeley

Guest Bob & Keeley

Hi,

We're hoping to move to Perth in November on a 457. We have substantial savings here in the UK but I think i'll get a better rate in Australia. Can anyone advise: can we put these savings in my spouses name - she will not be working and will therefore pay a lower rate of tax; if we leave it in the UK; is it more beneficial to pay the tax in the UK or Aus?

Cheers:huh:

Guest andynsaz

Hi

Sorry can't help with your question but I'm interested to know myself so going to watch the post, hope you don't mind!

Sarah:spinny:

We are on a 457 and were told to put our savings in my name as I earn a lower wage than hubby and therefore pay a lot less tax. He pays 40% I pay 19% so the interest will be taxed at my rate. However, if you leave money in the UK you will pay tax there and in Aus they won't tax it whilst on the 457. Just depends what tax levels you pay in the UK and what you'll pay in Aus.

Interest rates on savings accounts here are higher than the UK and online accounts with some banks can be very good.

Maybe speak to an Accountant when you get here and see what they advise is in your best interest. Find one that deals with people on 457's already and they should be up to date with the tax laws between UK and Aus whilst on a temporary visa.

Sarah

We are on a 457 and were told to put our savings in my name as I earn a lower wage than hubby and therefore pay a lot less tax. He pays 40% I pay 19% so the interest will be taxed at my rate. However, if you leave money in the UK you will pay tax there and in Aus they won't tax it whilst on the 457. Just depends what tax levels you pay in the UK and what you'll pay in Aus.

Interest rates on savings accounts here are higher than the UK and online accounts with some banks can be very good.

Maybe speak to an Accountant when you get here and see what they advise is in your best interest. Find one that deals with people on 457's already and they should be up to date with the tax laws between UK and Aus whilst on a temporary visa.

Sarah

Please see the below post, cheers.

Guest Bob & Keeley

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, this is a real help. Out of interest - if you're there on a 457, do you automatically get taxed at the higher rate by your employer?

OH gets LAFHA allowance so our tax rate is quite low at the moment but will increase as soon as we buy a property as LAFHA stops at that time. As far as I'm aware we pay the same rate as others I know I do on my salary.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say if your living in Oz and leaving your money in a bank in the UK you would not pay any UK tax on it, aslong as you meet the requirements such as i believe you cannot live in the uk for more than 3 months of the year

Archived