Backpacking across Australia

Guest Harry

Guest Harry

This is the one thing that I have always wanted to do, backpack around Australia! I guess it is out of my reach now but has anyone done it?

Hopefully in September 8) 8)

Working hard and saving :D

Always wanted to and now have the chance before settling down.

Guest Harry

Hi Bet,

The wife won’t let me because she would want to come along as well, then this would leave no-one to look after the kids.

It is one of those things that you wish you have done when you your younger, well I am only on my 30’s but it still seems I will not have the opportunity to give it a go. Still there are plenty years left yet to emigrate.

Well atleast you are looking at other ways you can do it :lol: . My partner and I did do a bit of traveling when we were younger (okay we are now only 33 not old!!!! mainly around Euorpe, America and Canada, and we also though about what we could have missed, well wasn't the same opportunity to shoot of on your own 10 years ago, especially for a woman. We done a 6 week trip to Auz in 2002, was a bit rushed and a lot of miles were covered, but it was enought to show us that it was what we wanted, took us a year and half to get all paperwork together and get our visa application approved, but hey if we can survive the stress of getting through this then our new life in Australia should be easy, roll on Jan 06. :P:P:P

• 2 months later...

I travelled around Australia last year and I would recommend you to save up £3000(Could be less but you want to experiance every thing) and go for it. Get a work visa and a cheap ticket (with return date window of a year) just get a travelling book on Australia plan your route. You met up with people in all the hostels and there are lots of companies that provide trips to see al the sights like Oz experiance tours. I would make sure you are not in Darwin in the rain season and go in land and work on the cattle farm/fruit picking farms for good experiance.

East coast is most young people favourite to start with, then travel up the middle down the west. your route will change as you meet people so dont stick to it just go with the flow!!

Travelling is the best experiance, worry about debts after! get good credit card!

have fun

Hey Harry

Take the kids with you!!! I travelled around Oz with the missus for 6 weeks by car. Had a tent and it was wicked. Travelled from Sydney down to Melbourne, Melbourne to Adleaide, across the Nullabor Plain to Perth up to Broome, Darwin back to Ayers Rock and back to Sydney. What a big place? 19,000 kms we did. Different prosepct with kids though but you meet heaps of people on campsites and they are generally cheap to pitch up on. Most campsites have cheap caravans to sleep in as well. We spent about £3k in six weeks.

Go for it!!!!

Boomer

• 1 month later...
Guest bob and ginnie

Sounds like Auspom is a seasoned traveller. I back packed from England in 1972. I never went back. It took me 18 months on the road across Europe and Asia to get to Fremantle off the old tramp steamer down from Singers, and I knew I'd made it. I had 10 quid left when I lobbed up on Australian shores.

Since then I've been up to Cairns, lived in Brisbane, and Hobart and Perth, of course. I now live in Adelaide and went up to Darwin and the "Alice" (Alice Springs) in 2000. Sydney and Melbourne leave me both a bit cold and I have cousins in each city.

Back packing is a great way to go. You just meet so many interesting folks on your trek, in YH's and hostels and working around the place. They are a mine of info to put you in the know and you never know who you end up chucking your swag in with. Someone might have an old bomb and is heading west 3,000 miles, so you help to pay the petrol cost and end up in WA instead of north in the tropics. Life can be just as much fun when you are spontaneous and don't plan every little agenda. That is pretty restrictive.

I had my 2 yr old son and wife when we went around South Africa for a month, so kids are compliant. We just tented. The climate in SA was similar to Australia's, and tenting isn't a bad option in country towns along the way. In the cities, you have to get digs and meet other backpackers for fun.

Archived