Rental advice....please!!

Guest JNR

Hi all,

Could someone help me?

We are moving to Melbourne (Pakenham) next month. We dont have jobs lined up and have decided to start a family business.

Therefore we have no income (until we set up). In terms of renting, I would be nervous as a Landlord letting a property out to someone with no income.

However, are we in a stronger position than others because we can pay 6 months rent in advance?? Is this something a landlord would favour ahead of others??

This is the only real concern we have at present......but its a massive one!!!

Thanks

Have a look at rentals on Realestate.com.au for Pakenham there seems to be quite a few rentals there when I had a look. You could also join Britvics if you are not already a member as I believe one of the members there lives in Pakenham.

There are people around the site MovingtoMelbourne who could help you with short term rental for when you arrive I think they are in Berwick area which is not far from Pakenham.

Good luck with your move things have a way of falling in place.

Guest Pinhead

I rented an apartment in Melbourne within 3 days of arriving in the country with no job. The EA wasn't particularly interested in me proving my income /cash balance but that maybe just because I had a nice EA or the fact that I'm an accountant.

It's usual to pay 1 month bond and 1 month in advance when renting, I don't see the need to pay 6 months in advance.

I'd get on realestate.com.au and look for some houses you like & then get in contact with the agents, explain your situation and ask them what you'd need to be able to rent.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jody and family

I have recently been searching out properties for a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 children. They have been here 10 days and have had quite a few viewings. I have just spoke to an agent who is going to give them a call in regards to renting a property as she has the perfect one for them. I am hoping by the weekend they should be in a property or have one going through the application process. They are here on a student visa so like you they cannot show an income coming in, but they do have an hefty bank balance which they are including a copy in their applications, plus we are writing them a reference based on the time they have spent with ourselves.

It is good to offer the 6 months up front as it shows you have the money to do that, although legally they are not allowed to accept it (I am not saying some wont but legally they shouldnt).

Have you got somewhere to stay when you touch down at Melbourne airport, we are booked up but we may be able to help you find a short term furnished rental for a few weeks until you get yourselves straight.

Good luck with the move and if we can help in anyway please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Guest The Pom Queen

There are people around the site MovingtoMelbourne who could help you with short term rental for when you arrive I think they are in Berwick area which is not far from Pakenham.

Thank you Susan:wubclub:

Guest Pinhead
hi did it take long to move

Pre-arranged viewing over the internet just before flight to Oz.

Landed Saturday am.

Viewed Mon am.

Agreed to let Mon pm.

Paid over bond/1st months rent Tues am.

Could have moved in Wed am but chose to move in on Fri am as had hotel booked until then.

Pretty much a perfect start!

Employment was the same.

Landed Saturday am.

Interview recruitment agency Wed pm.

Interview employer Fri am.

Started job Mon am.

I hoping for similar luck next year!

Guest Pinhead

JNR

This is the link to the tenants & landlords rights website for VIC, it sets out what is expected of you.

Consumer Affairs Victoria - Renting - Tenants - Rights and Obligations~

If the rent is $350 week or less the landlord can't ask for more than 1 months rent in advance in VIC nor can they ask for more than 1 months bond (unless it's the landlords principle residence).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived