Pesions

Guest mtcosby

Guest mtcosby

I think I know the answer to this one but I have to be sure, I have a few defered pensions with small amounts in. When emmigrating is it possible to cash them in

when your under 50 years old.

Regards

mtcosby

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kali02

Nope :)

Only way to get your hands on a pension before that age (before 55 in a couple of years) is to take an ill health early retirement - you will be assessed to determine whether or not you would qualify and different providers / schemes will have different requirements for you to meet. Some would just get you to fill in a form, others require a doctors certification and some even require a full medical.

You would only be able to get a lump sum of up to 25% and the rest paid as a pension. Your pension would also be reduced for early payment (because they have to pay it to you for longer).

Only way you could commute it fully for cash would be if you were terminally ill and had a very short period of time to live.

I'm assuming that you are fit and healthy otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to emigrate, so basically you have to leave your pension where it is until you are old enough to retire, suddenly qualify for ill health or decide to transfer it to Aus. A financial advisor would be able to discuss this with you in more depth.

Archived