Renting with 3 doggies...HELP ??!!!

Guest jenny4nails

Guest jenny4nails

Are there any wise people out there that can help on this one please??!!!

We are in the process of relocating to Australia (should be early 2009) and we are taking our 3 cavalier king charles spaniels with us.

We had our heart set on the Sunshine Coast area, but having emailed a couple of real estate agents re. pet friendly properties, they have all said that possibly 2 would be allowed with a permit from the council and agreement from the neighbours!!! But definately 3 wouldn't be allowed!!!!

We could never leave one of our dogs here in the UK and only take 2, to us they are our family (we have no children...they are our babies!! sad I know! lol)

What I'd like to know is are there ANY areas in Australia where 3 dogs can legally live in a household??!!

We are taking with us a 'doggie resume' inc: references from our trainer, vet, neighbours and landlord to say that we are fully responsible pet owners. We are happy to pay 6 months rent in advance and pay a 'doggie bond' - I only work part-time, as I take my role of pet ownership seriously and don't like them to be on their own all day.

We wanted to rent for 6 months, suss out areas we'd like to live, then buy as soon as would could. We are looking for a home on a large block...but not something rural and isolated!

If the Sunshine Coast is a no-no for 3 dogs, we will have to look at other areas where 3 dogs can live.

My hubby is brikclayer/builder...so an area that has development work is also a must!!

It's starting to seem like too much to ask.....having 3 dogs and work in the same area! :err:

Anybody know of anywhere....I'm really feeling disheartened :dull:

Jenny x x x x

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jaynie

Hi Jenny,

You may find it very hard to rent somewhere, a lot of people don't allow one dog let alone 3 dogs in rentals over here.

Just a thought, you could leave them with someone in the family in the UK while you settle and then ship them over once you buy somewhere? I am not being heartless as I am a dog lover too but just aware of the situation over here is all.

Most Australian families keep their dogs outside and I am presuming that yours are inside dogs as was mine, so even if they let you rent they may still insist on them not being inside the house, would you be able to cope with that too?

I sincerely hope you can find somewhere for all of you, but just wanted to let you know the situation over here before you arrive.

Good luck in your new life downunder.:wubclub:

I think the problem is you need a special licence for 3 dogs ,think its called a breeders licence.If you look into how you get one of these(its possible youll need an addy) maybe you will have more luck renting,finding pet friendly properties is getting harder but certainly not impossible.Good luck

Cal x

Guest donovan

Hiya Jenny

I feel really sorry for you as I know how you feels about your dogs,

they are a part of your family and there is no way you could leave one at

home

She is right, you are only allowed 2 dogs in a township over here but in

saying that, you can apply to council for a permit for the third. Personally

I wouldn't both as they are not huge dogs and are no going to be a menice to

society, I would certainly rent a house to her without a question.

If they have their hearts set on the Sunny Coast then that is do-able for us

as well.

off to the Sunny coast for a meeting Tuesday on properties for rent so will keep you informed on how it goes.

Sarah x

Hope this helps.

It's not just the Sunshine Coast. You'll find that you are only allowed two dogs in most areas considered urban/residential, unless you can get an exemption as a breeder or dog show-er or some other loophole. I'd contact the council of the area you want first and find out your options and whether you can get an exemption. I've noticed that this doesn't always extend to rural areas though, so if you don't mind living rural, or even just past the edge of town, you can probably live where you like. Best check it out first though as it would be heartbreaking to get them all out here and then discover one had to go.

Guest The Pom Queen

In Melbourne, most outer suburbs have a limit of 2 dogs but for an extra $70 you can apply for a permit for 3 dogs. Through working at the vet hospital I know lots of our clients had more than 2 dogs and didn't inform the council, tut tut.

Melbourne City Council do not have a limit on how many pets you can have in your home, however, they are currently working on getting this changed.

Guest Tasmania

I have followed your story with great interest. Have you managed to find a the perfect place in Oz for you and your dogs? I know most people from Northern Europe come to Oz for the sun and the beach. Tasmania is the island at the bottom of Australia. That said, I will have a 2 bedroom house available in late October - early November 2009. I enclose a link to our Council website - meander.tas.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=235 (without the "www") so you can view their policy on dogs. You might like email them to get the facts straight from the horses mouth - so to speak.

Get in touch if you like.

Are there any wise people out there that can help on this one please??!!!

We are in the process of relocating to Australia (should be early 2009) and we are taking our 3 cavalier king charles spaniels with us.

We had our heart set on the Sunshine Coast area, but having emailed a couple of real estate agents re. pet friendly properties, they have all said that possibly 2 would be allowed with a permit from the council and agreement from the neighbours!!! But definately 3 wouldn't be allowed!!!!

We could never leave one of our dogs here in the UK and only take 2, to us they are our family (we have no children...they are our babies!! sad I know! lol)

What I'd like to know is are there ANY areas in Australia where 3 dogs can legally live in a household??!!

We are taking with us a 'doggie resume' inc: references from our trainer, vet, neighbours and landlord to say that we are fully responsible pet owners. We are happy to pay 6 months rent in advance and pay a 'doggie bond' - I only work part-time, as I take my role of pet ownership seriously and don't like them to be on their own all day.

We wanted to rent for 6 months, suss out areas we'd like to live, then buy as soon as would could. We are looking for a home on a large block...but not something rural and isolated!

If the Sunshine Coast is a no-no for 3 dogs, we will have to look at other areas where 3 dogs can live.

My hubby is brikclayer/builder...so an area that has development work is also a must!!

It's starting to seem like too much to ask.....having 3 dogs and work in the same area! :err:

Anybody know of anywhere....I'm really feeling disheartened :dull:

Jenny x x x x

Guest jenny4nails

Thank you for all your supportive replies, and thank you for the PM's too!! Feeling much better now.

.....who'd have thought 3 little fur-balls could cause such a headache!!!

Jenny x x x

Guest stacimbrown
Thank you for all your supportive replies, and thank you for the PM's too!! Feeling much better now.

.....who'd have thought 3 little fur-balls could cause such a headache!!!

Jenny x x x

Hi Jenny

We have just got our pets out of Quarntine and boy do we wish we were more informed about the whole issue.We too have 3 dogs Golden Retrievers and they have been a part of our family for a few years so not an option to leave them.We have rented a property had to go threough the hassle of explaining we were good dog owners dont let them in the house etc etc however we never anticipated the hassle with the council for having more than 2 not only do you have to ask permission for having more than 2 you have to pay them $330 for the privledge and if it doesnt get granted you dont get it back,you also have to remove your dog from the property within 14 days.We just cant believe that there are no allowences made for newly migrated people who have spent alot to bring there pets, and lived under a different set of rules in England so are therefore not used to these regulations. This has been another set back and i am not sure how we will afford to keep paying out money like this, i hope it all goes well and dont want to sound negative about bringing the dogs but whatever it costs to transport them double it because that is what we reckon we have spent and it just keeps growing.Innoculations is another biggy here too we were quoted $79 for boosters arrived at the vets found we had to vaccinate them against something called heartworm they did a blood test to confirm he didnt have it and the whole visit cost us $250 A little different to the first told amount and that is just for one. Good luck if you have any questions just ask i wish i had been more informed.

Stacey:arghh:

Guest Jaynie

Heartworm can be given by injection or monthly chew tablets, the mozzies cause heartworm when the dogs get bitten, also you need to use frontline for ticks and fleas especially in Summer months, it can be quite costly to keep a pet over here, but dog lovers will do anything for the babies, I know I did.

Guest lisaandnick

I totally understand where you are coming from I have a dog and I would not leave her.I unfortuantely can not answer your question and I am sorry if this seems cheeky but do you have any advice on the qurantine procedures as I can not seem to find any detailed info anywhere.

Lisa

I know I'm going to offend some people who have posted but I have to ask - why would you expect to be given preferential treatment over the citizens of Australia regarding the number of dogs you can have just because you paid more money to bring them in to the country?

At least you got to bring your dogs in with you - there's many people who have to leave family behind who cannot get in and who they may never see again.

Yes you've guessed - I'm not a dog lover - not that I have anything against them personally - more irresponsible dog owners and before you all jump down my throat, I am not assuming that any of you fit into this category, obviously not when you're prepared to fork out the amount you have or intend to.

I live in a lovely estate (well it used to be!) that is spoiled by people who do not take responsibilty for dogs (or their children for that matter!) I have to clean dog sh.. out of my garden every week because of a lazy owner who only take their dogs out when they are yelping and by the time they get out of the front door to walk them my garden is nearest. Of course their little doggies don't poo!

On top of that, there are others who let their dogs out in the garden (they can't be bothered walking them!) and these dogs have never been trained not to yelp to get back in!

I stand (like the looney I am) yelling in my garden for them to 'Shut Up' after over an hour of constant barking. I bet these neighbours can't wait for me to leave but at 54 years old I am well aware that I have turned into the grumpy old woman that I was always meant to be.

If and when I do get to Oz and start looking at properties, the first question I will be asking is "Are there any dogs or children in the neighbouring houses" and if so you can keep it!

A little gated community for over 50's is more my style - with no dogs!!!!

Liz

Guest yvonne and paul
I know I'm going to offend some people who have posted but I have to ask - why would you expect to be given preferential treatment over the citizens of Australia regarding the number of dogs you can have just because you paid more money to bring them in to the country?

At least you got to bring your dogs in with you - there's many people who have to leave family behind who cannot get in and who they may never see again.

Yes you've guessed - I'm not a dog lover - not that I have anything against them personally - more irresponsible dog owners and before you all jump down my throat, I am not assuming that any of you fit into this category, obviously not when you're prepared to fork out the amount you have or intend to.

I live in a lovely estate (well it used to be!) that is spoiled by people who do not take responsibilty for dogs (or their children for that matter!) I have to clean dog sh.. out of my garden every week because of a lazy owner who only take their dogs out when they are yelping and by the time they get out of the front door to walk them my garden is nearest. Of course their little doggies don't poo!

On top of that, there are others who let their dogs out in the garden (they can't be bothered walking them!) and these dogs have never been trained not to yelp to get back in!

I stand (like the looney I am) yelling in my garden for them to 'Shut Up' after over an hour of constant barking. I bet these neighbours can't wait for me to leave but at 54 years old I am well aware that I have turned into the grumpy old woman that I was always meant to be.

If and when I do get to Oz and start looking at properties, the first question I will be asking is "Are there any dogs or children in the neighbouring houses" and if so you can keep it!

A little gated community for over 50's is more my style - with no dogs!!!!

Liz

IF after 54 years of living, you stand in the back garden shouting at dogs who can't understand you then you are clearly a slow learner Liz.

As for neighbouring houses without kids and dogs try the MOON, I have been told monisteries have a nice walled and gated enclosure, try one of these.

Paul

Guest yvonne and paul

To Jenny4nails.

You can apply to keep 3 dogs, a ranger will visit your property, assess what you have, ask the neighbours questions about your dogs, pay the fees to the council ect, If I find the links and letters I'll PM them to you.

As for the neighbours responses, any negative comments have to be justified, they don't just take their word for it.

Good luck.

Paul

Paul

You obviously never read my post - I was getting at the dog owners - not the dogs - the fact that the dogs are thick as two short planks is not their fault - they are only as intelligent as their owners who train them - after all they only learn from their masters

By shouting shut up I am shouting at their so called masters who are supposed to have some intelligence - not the poor dogs - believe it or not it works - the dogs are taken inside which is probably what they wanted in the first place and peace prevails! Whose the intelligent ones then?

I knew I would get a reaction!!!!

Guest lisaandnick

No wonder you are having trouble getting into Oz they all operate on happy people I dont think you would fit in. As for dog owners I am sure all us dog owners on here are responsible I am no I am maybe the neighbourhood you live in is the problem. Try talking to your neighbour rather than shouting

I don't expect to have any problem getting in -where did you get that gem from???.

What planet are you calling from -give me the co-ordinates so I can tune in.

Like previous poster you have not bothered to read post - I have spoken to neighbour and their response "THEIR DOGS DON'T POO!

also indicated that i didn't think that any of the responders fitted into this category but sorry - did I hit a raw nerve?

Guest fatpom
We just cant believe that there are no allowences made for newly migrated people who have spent alot to bring there pets, and lived under a different set of rules in England so are therefore not used to these regulations.

Unbelievable. :biglaugh:

Guest lisaandnick

Yes you did hit a raw note this website is supposed to be for people to get friendly and helpful advice about relocating not for people to put down dog owners in general.

It is hardly our fault that you dont get on with your neighbours that is the point I am trying to make it is stressful enough relocating to Oz without someone ranting on about irresponsible dog owners.

People on here are looking for advice and helpful hints at least that is what I want and so far everyone else has been extremely helpful and polite.

Lisa

Lisa

Sorry you feel like that but everyone is entitled to express an opinion whether you like that opinion or not. I wouldn't normally respond to a thread about dogs but the comment below from one of the posters did not go unnoticed and deserved a rant.

"We just cant believe that there are no allowences made for newly migrated people who have spent alot to bring there pets, and lived under a different set of rules in England so are therefore not used to these regulations."

I would also like to clarify (yet again) that I was not talking about dog owners in general - only irresponsible dog owners.

Secondly, believe it or not, I get on well with my most of my neighbours, some of whom have dogs believe it or not (responsible dog owners with well trained dogs of course) who fully agree with me.

Liz

Archived