Confused re. property terminology??!!

Guest jenny4nails

Guest jenny4nails

Are there any wise people out there that can give me a simple translation re. what properties are called in Oz and their approximate equivalent here in the UK (eg: detached....semi....terrace etc etc) to help me get my head around it please??!!

• Eg:Townhouse
  • Duplex
  • Unit
  • Single storey
  • Apartment
  • 2- storey
  • etc etc

For example what's the difference between a townhouse & a 2-storey??

When I hear the term 'unit' makes me think of an industrial unit?? :wacko:

Thanks in advance for your help

Jenny x x x

Guest Sam&Si
Are there any wise people out there that can give me a simple translation re. what properties are called in Oz and their approximate equivalent here in the UK (eg: detached....semi....terrace etc etc) to help me get my head around it please??!!

• Eg:Townhouse

• Duplex

• Unit

• Single storey

• Apartment

• 2- storey

• etc etc

For example what's the difference between a townhouse & a 2-storey??

When I hear the term 'unit' makes me think of an industrial unit?? :wacko:

Thanks in advance for your help

Jenny x x x

Hi Jenny,

My understanding is:

A duplex is a semi-detached

A townhouse is a smaller terraced house, sometimes in a complex

A 2 storey house is just a normal house but on 2 storeys (I think would be the closest equiv to our detached)

A unit can be a flat or a small terraced/semi detached bungalow

Apartment is same as over here - a posh name for a flat!

Single storey - normal house

Hope this helps!

x

Guest ianinoz69

Hope this helps...

TOWNHOUSE = usually a 2-storey property built in a complex or as part of a group of properties, usually comprise of an integral garage, and accommodation split over the 2 levels, not usually more than 3 bedrooms but most newer ones will come with ensuite bathroom to main bedroom. More often than not they are joined to your neighbour in a block or as a pair. Depending on size of complex or location you may have a small garden or just a small courtyard.

DUPLEX = usually a single storey property (known here as low-set), joined to a neighbouring property (so semi-detached) can be found in complexes or just in a residential area that will usually include similar duplex properties (rare to have a street of single houses AND duplexes). Usually comprise similar integral garage + bedrooms as a townhouse.

UNIT = same as a flat or an apartment. Can vary from being part of a large complex over many stories or just a small block of 6 units or so. Ground floor units may have a small courtyard and 1st floor (or above) may come with a balcony.

SINGLE STOREY = also known as Low-Set. Refers to a one storey property (similar to bungalow in UK). This is the most common type of suburban home and can range from a single-garage 3 bed to large double-garage, 4 beds + study and rumpus room. Modern homes all usually include ensuite and walk-in-robes to main bedroom.

APARTMENT = see UNIT. Although an apartment would more commonly be found in tall towers (ie flats)

2-STOREY = the upstairs/downstairs option for suburban houses, more common where the block of land is smaller than average.

You don't tend to get terraced houses other than in the older parts of Melbourne/Sydney etc although some modern complexes may have the townhouses in a row (so technically terraced).

Archived