Saddam's Execution

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I'm just wondering whether any of us are even interested in the bumping off of Saddam this morning apparently?

Personally I can't see it restoring peace in Iraq.

I did see quite an interesting clip by John Simpson or one of the other good commentators. Whoever it was said that there had been a risk that Saddam would bribe his way out of jail, escape to his friends elsewhere and continue to be a pest from some other place.

I do recall though that at the time of the Gulf War, Stormin' Norman allegedly told the American Government, "Look. I can take this guy out. Shall I do so?" Allegedly, he was told, "Do no such thing."

If so, it makes me wonder what the recent witch-hunt was really about?

Guest numbat1

Hi Golly, Well I find it sad. Saddam Hussein knew how to run a country full of extreme maniacs,yes he was extreme, but I think you have to be in his case, I feel sad about the whole thing as it was unecessary and unfair, as we speak Africans who committed genocide are being tried in Uk with no death penalty and probs released on good behaviour after 10 years. Suddam was a victim and will in time be remembered as a great man. :cry:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Suddam was a victim

I was reading your post with interest until I got to this bit.

I think you have pushed the envelope a bit too far there.

The actual news coverage however has had it's normal sense of "tease and promise of more to come" attached to it.

Folks, I'm out here working in Algeria which is a Muslim country and they all think Sadam was an evil dictator who did untold damage to his own people. He was obsessed with military gains and dont forget a million died in the ten year war with his neighbor Iran. Countless were murdered by his sadistic son and other henchmen. I for one will not be sorry for his death but I can also say that the US and UK are responsible for the continuous unrest in Iraq and god knows how many more lives will be lost before there is any kind of peace. Remember there are few bad people, just bad politics. I have worked in a lot of countries where reports say its unsafe, in none of these places that I've been have I felt threatened by the common people. This includes, Chittagong in Bangladesh, Algeria (Present job), Nigeria, Gulf of Mexico.

It seems to me that man is programmed to destroy himself and whatever we do it may be that it's too late. See if you can look up on the internet how many countries are in conflict, the results will surprise you.

On that doom and Gloom note, I just want to say.......I'm bursting to get my visa through so I can bury my head in the sand and live my life in Paradise!!

Alan.

Archived