Expat recommendations on UK tenancy issue

Hi all

I am letting my UK flat, I have done for the past 6 years, but looking to sell and buy over here as I get my citizenship next week, my agency in the UK has been quite poor and I am now in a position where I have a squatter in place of a tenant.  (S21 served and now expired, tenant on tenancy has moved out but his subtenant refuses to leave)

My query is "similar to the finance guru's on here are there any UK property legal types or can anyone recommend anyone they have had good experiences with"?  Not expecting free advice, just after recommendations as all I am being told in the UK is I have to take the squatter (unlawful subtenant) to court and evict them, even though they were never on the tenancy, this is lengthy and expensive.

Once I have them out I can make any repairs then sell, then look to buy over here.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Andrew

8 hours ago, andrewajp002 said:

Hi all

I am letting my UK flat, I have done for the past 6 years, but looking to sell and buy over here as I get my citizenship next week, my agency in the UK has been quite poor and I am now in a position where I have a squatter in place of a tenant.  (S21 served and now expired, tenant on tenancy has moved out but his subtenant refuses to leave)

My query is "similar to the finance guru's on here are there any UK property legal types or can anyone recommend anyone they have had good experiences with"?  Not expecting free advice, just after recommendations as all I am being told in the UK is I have to take the squatter (unlawful subtenant) to court and evict them, even though they were never on the tenancy, this is lengthy and expensive.

Once I have them out I can make any repairs then sell, then look to buy over here.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Andrew

Do you have landlord insurance?  Strangely many don’t bother getting this but if you have then contact them.  My friend had a tenant that wouldn’t move out.  It took her almost a year to get them out and they left a terrible mess (and stopped paying the rent) her landlord insurance covered everything and had a great legal department that helped with the process.  That was some years ago and even today my friend gets a small amount every month from the rent arrears.  The insurance covered the legal challenge for that too and eventually an attachment of earnings was put on the tenants salary. If you haven’t then sorry I can’t offer any other suggestions.  Hopefully others will.  Good luck. 

On 06/07/2021 at 16:39, Tulip1 said:

Do you have landlord insurance?  Strangely many don’t bother getting this but if you have then contact them.  My friend had a tenant that wouldn’t move out.  It took her almost a year to get them out and they left a terrible mess (and stopped paying the rent) her landlord insurance covered everything and had a great legal department that helped with the process.  That was some years ago and even today my friend gets a small amount every month from the rent arrears.  The insurance covered the legal challenge for that too and eventually an attachment of earnings was put on the tenants salary. If you haven’t then sorry I can’t offer any other suggestions.  Hopefully others will.  Good luck. 

Hi,. thanks for the reply.

I did have insurance, but there was a mix up on the last renewal and I found out when I went to claim I wasn't covered anymore, doh.

I have accepted I have to evict the other person, even though they should not be there, so will take me a few months and the bills, but once thats done, hopefully not much damage and I can repair and then sell.