Refund for 489 Visa holder's not able to make first entry

Hi All,

Hope you are keeping yourself safe!

I have been unlucky with my visa, my 489 for SA was granted in Nov 2019 and I had planned to fly to my dream country Aus in April 2020. I am one of those unfortunate mates who could not make their first entry before pandemic and there is no chance I will be able to fly this year as well. Moreover I am in India, so not sure about 2022 situation as well. Exemptions is not possible for 489 with ICT Project Manager occupation and no job offer in hand. 

Lost 2 years out of 4 years of grant and unsure about other 2 years. I will definitely not gonna fit into criteria for PR or be eligible. The hope has faded away now. 

I am looking if there is any refund declared by Aus Govt or will be declared for those who lost their visa time in pandemic or not able to travel due to border restrictions. I could see refund updates for visa granted after Feb 2020 but nothing for visa grants in end of 2019. 

If anyone have any update on this please share with me......

Anything I need to initiate if I opted for refund? do I need to submit application and request SA visa department for refund? or wait for further announcement ?  

What should visa holders like me should do?

I'm in a similar situation, although I validated my visa in February 2020 before returning back to the UK.

In the COVID concessions, I think visa application refunds were only applicable to 300, 403, 417 and 462 visas not the 489.  Unless you particularly want to try and get a refund, what's the harm in waiting to see if there are any visa concessions in the future?