309 from London or 820 when borders open?!

lotsw87

Hi there,

I (a Brit) am after a bit of advice as to which route to take in terms of my move to Sydney this year with my Australian citizen partner. We both currently live in London.

We see 3 options:

- apply offshore now for a 309 visa from London (but how long is this taking? If borders open up before it gets granted, what happens?) We'd need to get married first to fulfil the criteria I believe as haven't been together long enough for de-facto.

- just wait and pray and hope the borders open this summer/autumn and apply for 820 while in Sydney on a tourist visa, get granted bridging visa in the mean time 

- or basically do option 2 but expedite it while the borders are still closed by applying for a travel exemption and try and get over there without a visa while the pandemic restrictions are still happening. I didn't think this was at all possible but I have read it's possible to apply for it. Appreciate we'd have to fork out loads for business class flights and pay for quarantine. 

Bit of background on our situation:

- I'm a British citizen and she is Australian, here on a 2 year working holiday visa which runs out July 2021.

- We've been together 14 months (although technically can evidence we started dating 18 months ago). We can only evidence co-habitation since October 2020 sadly.

- We are prepared to get married in the UK to make the commitment get taken more seriously, seeing as we don't have 12+ months co-habitation which i've read you need 

- We assume we will pay an agency to help us, so grateful of any suggestions for agencies or lawyers to use. We've been looking at Sable/1st contact. Money isn't really an issue, we just want to be able to start our life together in Sydney Summer/Autumn 2021. 

- My job isn't in demand, but I am Masters educated, no debts, good savings, good health etc. 

Many thanks in advance 🙂 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lotsw87 said:

We've been looking at Sable/1st contact

This company specializes in inbound immigration to the UK. You need to speak with an Australian Registered Migration Agent. 

You have the basics of the options outlined, but there are many nuances, particularly in the current environment, that you need to consider. If you want to get in touch, I’m happy to look at your situation.