457 visa advice is it worth it ?? im waiting for a 175

Guest sharkie

Guest sharkie

hi all

any advice please ,waiting for my 175 skilled independant visa ,but it looks like its going to be a while ,went in end of april 08!!! specially as ive done the bloody paper based :(

luckily (sorry all those who cant sell) ive no house or ties and can move straight away ,. i am moving to be with my girlfriend in sydney and just have to be there soon:arghh: !!

any advice on the 457 ,should i be able to find a company easy (im a carpenter ),wots the best way of going about this ? is it worth it ?or should i hold on and keep waiting ,im expecting my visa maybe early 09 but as you all no who no"s ??

hope someone can help

chris

Guest P.Ross

I would wait. I went to Gold Coast/Brisbane as a chef on a 457 and had to come home after 18 months due to employer making me redundant. Due to the fact I have 2 kids and couldn't have the uncertainty I am now back in the UK and waiting for a 175.

Paul

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sharkie

Is your girlfriend an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident? If so, would a spouse visa be a goer for you? If you could get the temporary splouse visa, it would hold the fort till your 175 visa is ready to be granted.

If you go out to Oz on a 457 visa whilst you wait for your 175 visa to be processed, remember that you would need to be outside Australia again when your 175 visa is granted. A week in Fiji or Auckland would soon fix that, however, and lots of people do it.

As you are single, I'd be inclined to go for it with the 457 visa if you want to.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest itskaren
Hi Sharkie

Is your girlfriend an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident? If so, would a spouse visa be a goer for you? If you could get the temporary splouse visa, it would hold the fort till your 175 visa is ready to be granted.

If you go out to Oz on a 457 visa whilst you wait for your 175 visa to be processed, remember that you would need to be outside Australia again when your 175 visa is granted. A week in Fiji or Auckland would soon fix that, however, and lots of people do it.

As you are single, I'd be inclined to go for it with the 457 visa if you want to.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

I am on a 457 visa and applied for the 175 on jan 1st 08. We are living in Melbourne at present. Are you saying that we need to leave the country once the 175 has been granted? Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

I am on a 457 visa and applied for the 175 on jan 1st 08. We are living in Melbourne at present. Are you saying that we need to leave the country once the 175 has been granted? Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Hi Karen

What will happen is that when your CO is ready to grant your 175 visa, s/he will send you a pre-grant letter, inviting you to go offshore so that your 175 visa can be granted. S/he will ask where you plan to go to, so that the CO can send the Grant data to the relevant DIAC office offshore. From Melbourne, Auckland or Fiji are closest. However, here's the list:

Contact Us

Take your pick!

Be aware that the whole family, including the main applicant's Partner & children, must be outside Australia when the 175 visa is granted.

Best wshes

Gill

Guest itskaren
Hi Karen

What will happen is that when your CO is ready to grant your 175 visa, s/he will send you a pre-grant letter, inviting you to go offshore so that your 175 visa can be granted. S/he will ask where you plan to go to, so that the CO can send the Grant data to the relevant DIAC office offshore. From Melbourne, Auckland or Fiji are closest. However, here's the list:

Contact Us

Take your pick!

Be aware that the whole family, including the main applicant's Partner & children, must be outside Australia when the 175 visa is granted.

Best wshes

Gill

Thanks Gill. Much appreciated.

Guest sharkie
Hi Sharkie

Best wishes

thanks all

yep my girlfriend is a aussie citizen but a little early for the spouse visa :cute:,i think i need to be in oz a yr or 2 (if i ever get there):SLEEP:till that little question comes out ,she will think im just asking to marry her for the visa

sent a few resumes and going to see wot happens ,theres such a shortage of carpenters/foremen i should be ok to stay in work the hard bits getting the foot in the door !!

the quick visit to nz or fiji would be great ive worked in both !!

thanks again chris

,she will think im just asking to marry her for the visa

thanks again chris

:biglaugh:

if you go on the 457 you will get it quick though there are some cons ie you cant change employer easily but as gill says if you are single and have the funds to get back to uk in that instance or get offshore while they grant the 175 you may have nothing to lose - a little harder when you have a family to consider.

but listen your 175 may also be quicker than you expect given the way they are being issued at the moment www.britishexpats-australianvisatimeline

good luck - keep us posted

sjs

Archived