drawing down super as non-aussie resident

excitedbutterrified

Myself and my wife lived in Melbourne for 2  1/2  years on a 457 visa, and left in 2018

When we left, we didn't reclaim our Superannuation, and it has sat in its respective funds- and growing much faster than any UK savings we might get. I'm not sure how much my wife's account has 

accumulated, but I think together we have in the region of 80/90k$ in there so it isn't insignificant - but not massive either.

Although there is a possibility we will move back to Oz, as we have a visa expression of interest in, and keep looking at jobs, its looking increasingly likely that we wont return to live in Australia (which makes me quite sad!).

What I would like to know is, if we leave our super in place until we are 60/65, can we then draw it down without paying the 45% tax we would pay if we claimed it back now - as non Australian residents?  We have an objective to become silver nomads and do a significant amount of outback travel (which we enjoyed when we lived there) and having $90k in the bank as holiday spends would allow us to spend a load of time exploring.

On 24/02/2020 at 23:09, excitedbutterrified said:

Myself and my wife lived in Melbourne for 2  1/2  years on a 457 visa, and left in 2018

When we left, we didn't reclaim our Superannuation, and it has sat in its respective funds- and growing much faster than any UK savings we might get. I'm not sure how much my wife's account has 

accumulated, but I think together we have in the region of 80/90k$ in there so it isn't insignificant - but not massive either.

Although there is a possibility we will move back to Oz, as we have a visa expression of interest in, and keep looking at jobs, its looking increasingly likely that we wont return to live in Australia (which makes me quite sad!).

What I would like to know is, if we leave our super in place until we are 60/65, can we then draw it down without paying the 45% tax we would pay if we claimed it back now - as non Australian residents?  We have an objective to become silver nomads and do a significant amount of outback travel (which we enjoyed when we lived there) and having $90k in the bank as holiday spends would allow us to spend a load of time exploring.

Hi there

As I understand it, the rules relating to a condition of release are essentially trumped by your visa type and therefore I believe that if you do not become permanent residents then ordinary release rules still do not apply and instead you will have to access the money via the DSAP process:  https://www.ato.gov.au/forms/applying-for-a-departing-australia-super-payment/

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy 

On 24/02/2020 at 23:39, excitedbutterrified said:

No, unfortunately in order to draw your super you must meet a condition of release and while being over preservation age or 65 is the usual condition of release for citizens and permanent residents, it is not a condition of release for temporary residents. The only conditions of release that are available for temporary residents are:-

• being diagnosed with a terminal medical condition
  • suffering temporary or permanent incapacity
  • death (paid to beneficiary or estate) 
  • permanently departing Australia (the heavily taxed DASP option)
  • Like 1