ANyone got the "Where to live in Melbourne Guide"?

Guest melba

Guest melba

I am moving to Melbourne in 4 weeks & myself & my boyfriend are starting to umm & aaah over where to live when we get there. If anyone has the "Where to live in Melbourne" guide can you please let me know as I think we might find it helpful.

If anyone has any suggestions on areas to live in in Melbourne please let me know! We are aged 25 & 27 & want to be close-ish to the city centre as I will both be working in the CBD.

We ideally want somewhere at a reasonable price with bars & cafes & shops nearby.... hopefully somewhere with a bit of life but not ridiculously noisy.

I'm not desperate to live in a really swanky area but want it to be nice enough for me to feel comfortable on my own after dark as my partner works much longer hours than me so I will be there alone quite a bit.

Any input welcome! x:spinny:

Guest Jaynie

If you pm tracy123, Geoffrey should be able to help you out, he has lived all his life in Melbourne and would love to advise you I am sure.

Guest mandisfam

Yep, Tracy123 is the your man, I think he most know everything there is know about Melbourne.....

Mandisfam

Have a look at South Yarra, Richmond, East Melbourne, Fitzroy, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Ascot Vale, all very easy distance to the city, West Melbourne, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne. Southbank, Docklands.

Look at Realestate.com.au for the rental prices should give you an idea. You can walk into the city from most of these areas and they are very popular with the young professionals

:smile:

Guest Brickie

Brunswick is good, has lots of cafes mostly for the "alternate" type, mainly goths, hippies, old hippies, gays.

Goods eats, good coffee and fairly safe.

Trams to city, walking is about 10 to 15 minutes to the city.

Guest Ed&Laura

did you get the guide? - We got a copy yesterday....Actually not sure it was quite as much help as had hoped....Perhaps better for families looking at schools etc....

Guest melba
did you get the guide? - We got a copy yesterday....Actually not sure it was quite as much help as had hoped....Perhaps better for families looking at schools etc....

Yeah I think it is probably better for families. It seems to say the areas we were thinking of are the most crime ridden! Oh well..... can't be any worse than where we live in Nottingham at the minute!

Guest Ed&Laura

Yeah I thought that too - quite a bit of crime near the city and surrounding suburbs - It was a 2005 report though so some places may have changed a bit....its looking like Port Melbourne, Docklands or Williamstown for us....Laura said your original post was almost word for word what she would have written + wanting to be close to the beach....Hoping for the chest x-ray next week.....roll on September!

Guest melba
Yeah I thought that too - quite a bit of crime near the city and surrounding suburbs - It was a 2005 report though so some places may have changed a bit....its looking like Port Melbourne, Docklands or Williamstown for us....Laura said your original post was almost word for word what she would have written + wanting to be close to the beach....Hoping for the chest x-ray next week.....roll on September!

Yeah I was thinking quite a lot could have changed in a few years. Plus like I said, I currently live in an area of Nottingham that is not exactly desirable but we have hardly had any problems.... Anywhere you go there's going to be more crime nearer the city.

We will be looking at St Kilda (my boyfriends first choice as we'd be by the beach!) Carlton, Docklands, Williamstown & Fitzroy. Plus possibly Collingwood & Richmond. I've been before & really liked St Kilda & Fitzroy. I had a chat with Geoffrey (Tracy 123) as he's the expert on Melbourne & he recommended those areas too.

I'll let you know how we get on when we start looking for rentals in 4 weeks!

Guest The Pom Queen

I have only ever been beachside in St Kilda but I love it and think it is a real modern place for young people. It has had a bad rep for years but this has been a case of chinese whispers carrying on from years and years ago. I have heard lots of people say Williamstown is the best burb on the West.

Guest melba
I have only ever been beachside in St Kilda but I love it and think it is a real modern place for young people. It has had a bad rep for years but this has been a case of chinese whispers carrying on from years and years ago. I have heard lots of people say Williamstown is the best burb on the West.

Yeah I have heard quite a lot of negative stuff about St Kilda, but when I went there I loved it too! I suppose wherever you go there are dodgy bits or certain streets to avoid, but I can't say I saw anything particularly untoward when I was there a few years ago....

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chrislim1

Hi Ed&Laura, congrats.... any chance me finding out if you used an agent for your application. btw, could i get a copy of the Melbourne guide? Sorry for being a busybody. ;o)

• 1 month later...
Guest mark2145

Hi there,

90% certain to be moving to melbourne, any chance you can send me a copy of the guide. Supposed to be going in Jan 09. stuck offshore and cant talk much wife my wife who is panicking a bit about the whole thing.

many thanks

mark

Catherine, click on my name when logged in and there's an option to send a private message. Tell me your email and I'll send the guide to you :smile:

Archived