Skills Assessment

Nash

hi.....

I am a recent mining engineering graduate and have moved to Australia on the 476 visa. I am having difficulties in getting a mining engineering graduate program so can anyone assist me on on which occupation to do that could make me qualify to apply for a permanent visa 

thank you

Hi Nash

Have you spoken to Engineers Australia? They issue the skill assessments based on qualifications and institutions. For example if you undertake a course and it is not recognised by them you cannot gain a skill assessment in your preferred occupation or an occupation that provides the best options to gain residency.

1 minute ago, Sue Battistin said:

Hi Nash

Have you spoken to Engineers Australia? They issue the skill assessments based on qualifications and institutions. For example if you undertake a course and it is not recognised by them you cannot gain a skill assessment in your preferred occupation or an occupation that provides the best options to gain residency.

Hi Sue 

Yes i did call them but they refused to clarify on other occupation options. My degree is Washington accord accredited so I don't know whether they will accept it or not

So the fact that is is Washington Accord is very good. The way Engineer Australia works is you apply for the skill assessment and they determine what occupation you are qualified for regardless of what your work experience etc says. For example my client works as a Civil Engineer and has done for the last 4 years however his skill assessment, based on his qualifications (non Washington accord) provide him with the occupation of Engineer Technologist. Perhaps it is worth lodging a skill assessment with EA to see what occupation you are assessed under. No work experience is required just your qualification. 

They also list on their website recognised institutions in Australia. Below is a link to accredited programs. It also advises what courses, institutions and the occupation.

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/2018-06/Web_List_V29_180615.pdf

Hope this helps. 

16 minutes ago, Nash said:

Owk thank you.. the thing is i want to be assessed as a engineering technologist and not as a mining engineer as it is not on the 189 visa so would that be possible?

Sorry I must be misunderstanding what you are saying as the occupation of Mining Engineer 233611 is on the MLTSSL and is an occupation you may nominate for a 189 residency visa. 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl

From the link above mining engineer does not qualify for the 189 visa.

My story is i am a mining engineering graduate from university of the Witwatersrand  (south Africa) and I want to apply for residency hence i was looking for an occupation that is on the list  i can assessed on