BG Gas Engineer / Gas Fitter Skills Visa

zildogh

hi

ive been working for british gas for about 10 years, and am looking to get a 190 or 189 visa.  Busy doing skills assesment at the moment.  And wondered if there are any other bg service and repair engineers on here that are going/gone down the same pathway.  How long did it take you to get your visa, skills proved?  Most of the work i do is service and repair, with some install work where needed.  Did you include pictures or your work with the skills assessment of just the description.  Ive wrote some descriptions out so far but not sure exactly what to write.  I could go on for pages describing what i do at work but not sure if that is what they want?

How was the ielts english test?  Did you have to study for it?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I work for Scottish Gas service and repair.  I got my TRA skills assessment successfully through November 2017 (GasFitter) after giving them all the evidence.

There were no pictures involved like I’ve read people saying elsewhere.  I think that is the case for plumbers though.

It took around 3 months after submitting all my documents to get a successful outcome.

For the descriptions I just put a lot of details of daily tasks, tools used, appliances worked on etc.

The hardest part was gathering all the evidence.  I had to get manuscripts from city and guilds NVQ3, pay slips going back to apprenticeship, letters written from ex-bosses saying what my job entailed at the time working there. 

The IELTS test was fine, Its testing your English skills and you’re a native speaker, so it’s more the WAY of taking the test that you need to practice.   

I used https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare-test/free-practice-tests

I see you posted this back in August so I’m probably a bit late, but it might help others out there in the same boat.

cheers

Dean

Thanks for the reply! I’ve managed to get all payslips going back 10 year that I’ve worked for them. Having trouble getting all the bank statements tho. How did u get on with that bit?

Good to hear from someone at Bg that’s doing the same thing, and in S & R! For the manuscripts bit I’ve scanned the certificates that show the units credits towards the nvq levels? Is that what you have done? Or something else?

Have u managed your visa yet? I was hoping for a 189. 

I’m just looking through all the things I sent and I can see that I’ve added a 2 bank statements PER year from 2010 - July 2017.  I got them from my internet banking account, looking through the transaction history there was an option to “print” and I somehow saved them as a PDF.  Worst comes to worst just go into your bank and I’m sure they can look back and print off for you.

Have you always worked for BG and that’s who you done your training with?  That will be a lot easier for you if it is.  Centrica HR were great for supplying letters with the Centrica headed paper, eg proof of earnings each year and proof confirming the job role, just email them saying what you want them to write to you in a letter and they will send it to you.

I done a 3 year apprenticeship with a local authority then once qualified went to Scottish Gas for 3 years, went travelling for 18 months and when I came back I started with a company who works subcontracting solely for BG.  So I’ve had to get 3 different sets of evidence from 3 different employers.  

A list of what I sent -

* proof of payment to TRA

* MSA application for pages 1-8

* TRA employer template X 3

* passport (cover and inside)

* letter from college confirming attendance for specified years

* city and guilds NVQ3 certificates (from passing apprenticeship)

* BPEC certificate (after resitting ACS after 5 years)

* 6012_6034_NVQ_3 qualification transcript (this was from the city and guilds, the number was on my certificate and I phoned them up and they sent me a link to this full course transcript.  I’ve read that this is important to have as the TRA will use this to match up against what they teach in Australia for a similar trade GASFITTER)

* letter from my 1st employer that I done my apprenticeship with confirming employment during those years, job role and salary

* letter from my 1st employer with a statement of earnings for each year working there.

* letter from Centrica - British Gas confirming employment 

* payslips 2005-2009 from first employer 

* payslips Centrica BG 2009 - 2012

* Centrica BG statement of earnings

* current employer payslips

* P60s from 2011 - 2017

* bank statements 2010 - 2017

Now I don’t know if I went over the top ? but in my head the things I needed to prove were - 

Reletive experience - transcript, certificates, employer templates and job descriptions.

Proof of employment and training - wage slips, letters from colleges and employers, P60s, bank statements.

Hope this helps! There’s not much guidance online for people doing the GASFITTER route!

I’m going for the 189 visa yeah.

Ive paid the money, had the medical and police checks and IELTS done, sent away all the paperwork and now it’s just a case of waiting and hoping! 

Very frustrating though, I officially applied in March and I got first contact back from them in August asking for more documents. I supplied them within a week and now I’m just waiting again...fun and games lol.

Defo not over the top mate. I got apprenticeship with Bg, and worked for them ever since. They hav been good. My bank says they don’t hold the records that long. 

Not much info about for gas fitters.

Hav u seen managed to get any employers etc lined up for when U get over?

Message me direct if u like on here.

• 1 month later...
On 30/09/2018 at 21:47, Deanp said:

I’m just looking through all the things I sent and I can see that I’ve added a 2 bank statements PER year from 2010 - July 2017.  I got them from my internet banking account, looking through the transaction history there was an option to “print” and I somehow saved them as a PDF.  Worst comes to worst just go into your bank and I’m sure they can look back and print off for you.

Have you always worked for BG and that’s who you done your training with?  That will be a lot easier for you if it is.  Centrica HR were great for supplying letters with the Centrica headed paper, eg proof of earnings each year and proof confirming the job role, just email them saying what you want them to write to you in a letter and they will send it to you.

I done a 3 year apprenticeship with a local authority then once qualified went to Scottish Gas for 3 years, went travelling for 18 months and when I came back I started with a company who works subcontracting solely for BG.  So I’ve had to get 3 different sets of evidence from 3 different employers.  

A list of what I sent -

* proof of payment to TRA

* MSA application for pages 1-8

* TRA employer template X 3

* passport (cover and inside)

* letter from college confirming attendance for specified years

* city and guilds NVQ3 certificates (from passing apprenticeship)

* BPEC certificate (after resitting ACS after 5 years)

* 6012_6034_NVQ_3 qualification transcript (this was from the city and guilds, the number was on my certificate and I phoned them up and they sent me a link to this full course transcript.  I’ve read that this is important to have as the TRA will use this to match up against what they teach in Australia for a similar trade GASFITTER)

* letter from my 1st employer that I done my apprenticeship with confirming employment during those years, job role and salary

* letter from my 1st employer with a statement of earnings for each year working there.

* letter from Centrica - British Gas confirming employment 

* payslips 2005-2009 from first employer 

* payslips Centrica BG 2009 - 2012

* Centrica BG statement of earnings

* current employer payslips

* P60s from 2011 - 2017

* bank statements 2010 - 2017

Now I don’t know if I went over the top ? but in my head the things I needed to prove were - 

Reletive experience - transcript, certificates, employer templates and job descriptions.

Proof of employment and training - wage slips, letters from colleges and employers, P60s, bank statements.

Hope this helps! There’s not much guidance online for people doing the GASFITTER route!

That’s seems like an impossible task, I’ll be starting to gather my evidence soon. How long did it take you to gather all evidence you needed? 

It took a good month to get everything together.  Emailing/phoning HR departments and colleges requesting statements on headed paper and payslips etc seemed daunting at first but all were very efficient at getting back to me.  I just explained to them what I needed and why I needed it.

Like I said before, maybe I sent too much, but I’d rather that than send not enough after reading about other people’s skills assessments. 

Good luck getting everything together, drop any questions in here once you’re doing it and I’ll answer best I can.

I found Centrica Bg he good aswell. Your further forward on than me tho. I still need to do the language test n things. But we won’t b making the move for a while yet. 

Just start chipping away at it, and ticking things off as u go. It soon comes together.