Arrive in Brisbane in December and need advice on farm work please !!

Dean8787

Hi everyone I arrive in Brisbane in December this year and am looking to obtain a fruit picking job intailly and as soon to arrival as possible.

So I've done countless Google searches on the fruit seasons and regions which has only really give me some breif knowledge of the different seasons and not much more really.

I've also started contacting working hostels and farms and the one's that have replied are very vague with the answers to the questions I've asked I'm guessing it's because it's still a number of months till I arrive.

So after Google searches and a couple of online posts and a few vague emails returned from working hostels I was thinking of heading north to the banana farms as I've established this is harvested all year I'm quite strong and hardy so I think the job would be o.k even in the heat or rain.

Anyway so after reading all the above can you give me any advice, links, contacts or anything even if you send me south not north any advice at all just generally on gain work on arrival would be a huge help.

Thanks people ?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Dean8787 well I’ve been on the other side of the fence so to speak recently. I’m currently with a group of around 80/90 farmers all who have plenty of work, but guess what, none of them dare employ backpackers. I don’t get involved but love to sit and listen to the gossip and basically there are so many FB groups set up these days of disgruntled backpackers that it is earning them quite a bad reputation and a lot of the farmers are choosing Asians because they know they will work hard and don’t complain.

Now not all of the complaints are unjustified but the majority are. 

‘Just yesterday a few were:

Scratches from the fruit trees,

Broken nails

they got wet when it rained

One had to dust the house with a pair of old rags and not a sparkling yellow duster god forbid.

the working dogs weren’t being fed properly (this caused 125 backpackers to call the rspca on a farmer because he was feeding his kelpies on kangaroo and beef instead of dried food and tinned pedigree and the dogs had to live outside)

Now we even qualify for employing a backpacker for their 2nd year visa but after reading all the complaints they make I’m afraid I agree with the farmers and I couldn’t cope with all the drama.

Hi,

That's a bit worrying it seems that some people must not be taking the jobs serious and spoiling it for the others.

I am in my late 20s and have a more mature realistic expectations of the work on farms.

I worked in catering in my early 20s and now work in construction so this has installed a good work ethic in me and if complained about scratches on my arms or having to clean something I would certainly be released of my job in the near future from making the complaints.

So hopefully I will be able to get my self in situation were I can stress in more detail what I have said in the above.

After reading your post I have decided it may be best writing a strong cover letter and emailing this to as many farms as possible.

Do you have any up to date contacts you could give me it seems that you are well in the loop?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2018 at 14:48, The Pom Queen said:
On 27/07/2018 at 11:09, Dean8787 said:

Hi everyone I arrive in Brisbane in December this year and am looking to obtain a fruit picking job intailly and as soon to arrival as possible.

So I've done countless Google searches on the fruit seasons and regions which has only really give me some breif knowledge of the different seasons and not much more really.

I've also started contacting working hostels and farms and the one's that have replied are very vague with the answers to the questions I've asked I'm guessing it's because it's still a number of months till I arrive.

So after Google searches and a couple of online posts and a few vague emails returned from working hostels I was thinking of heading north to the banana farms as I've established this is harvested all year I'm quite strong and hardy so I think the job would be o.k even in the heat or rain.

Anyway so after reading all the above can you give me any advice, links, contacts or anything even if you send me south not north any advice at all just generally on gain work on arrival would be a huge help.

Thanks people ?

Why the rush to get it? By and large, a lot of the hostels that promise regional work are toilets, they get so inundated with backpackers they can afford to let standards slip and do. I heard some absolute horror stories about the banana farm hostels. And regarding the "spoiling it" angle, yeah this happens but tbh there is no shortage of sketchy employers in Oz who frankly take advantage of backpackers, or try to, there are two sides to the story.  

The smart move IMO especially if you have a background in construction is to head out to one of the regional cities and work construction. It was AFAIK, still classed as regional. I know lads working in Darwin on site were getting their visa when I was there. Also you're cutting out 50% of your competition i.e. female backpackers because let me tell you, everywhere you go in Oz that's on the relative beaten track you will be in fierce competition for work make no bones about that.

Edited by digitalis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 30/07/2018 at 01:46, Dean8787 said:

Hi,

That's a bit worrying it seems that some people must not be taking the jobs serious and spoiling it for the others.

I am in my late 20s and have a more mature realistic expectations of the work on farms.

I worked in catering in my early 20s and now work in construction so this has installed a good work ethic in me and if complained about scratches on my arms or having to clean something I would certainly be released of my job in the near future from making the complaints.

So hopefully I will be able to get my self in situation were I can stress in more detail what I have said in the above.

After reading your post I have decided it may be best writing a strong cover letter and emailing this to as many farms as possible.

Do you have any up to date contacts you could give me it seems that you are well in the loop?

Sorry @Dean8787 if you send me a pm I will give you a few people to contact although be warned the majority of farmers are now refusing people if they are French or British because of the few who have spoilt. If you want to send me a covering letter I can use this to show them that you aren’t scared of hard work. 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 12/08/2018 at 02:26, digitalis said:

Why the rush to get it? By and large, a lot of the hostels that promise regional work are toilets, they get so inundated with backpackers they can afford to let standards slip and do. I heard some absolute horror stories about the banana farm hostels. And regarding the "spoiling it" angle, yeah this happens but tbh there is no shortage of sketchy employers in Oz who frankly take advantage of backpackers, or try to, there are two sides to the story.  

The smart move IMO especially if you have a background in construction is to head out to one of the regional cities and work construction. It was AFAIK, still classed as regional. I know lads working in Darwin on site were getting their visa when I was there. Also you're cutting out 50% of your competition i.e. female backpackers because let me tell you, everywhere you go in Oz that's on the relative beaten track you will be in fierce competition for work make no bones about that.

But you are talking of the working hostels or the contractors. These are the ones who do abuse backpackers. I’m talking of the farmers direct. 

‘I agree though working in construction would be easier.