Hi there!

Guest Katie

Guest Katie

Hi, my name is Katie. My husband, myself (and our 3-yr old boy) are thinking of moving to Oz. I am keen to live there but my husband is very wary about the move. We came back from there a couple of months ago after checking the place out (only visited Sydney and Wollongong where my bro and sis are living). But my hubby found the country was boring (I think pubs/bitter/ale is one of the major probs) and he was unsure how to make a living there (He's a self-employed builder with different skills they need). But he doesn't want to do odd jobs here and there to make a living (he's getting too old for that). Is it hard to find tradesmen to work with/for you, does anyone know?

Could anyone also advise us:

1-Being a self-employed builder with different skills e.g. plastering, carpentry, plumbing, bricklaying etc...(truthfully) without working solidly on one particular skill over 12 mths out of 18 (recent work experience they required). How can we prove to them that he's capable to do the works?

2-Also, how can he prove to dimia that he's a native English speaker without sitting the IELTS test? (He's lost all his school reports)?

3-My husband would love to have a couple of acres of land. Could anyone tell us the areas in Picton (Near Wollongong) ok to live in terms of crimes etc... as we were told at one point that it's quite a rough area?

Would love to hear some feedback from any of you. Cheers. (sorry about the long essay, but I do have a million and one questions about this migration issue. It's just completely preoccupied my mind at the moment.) Thx for this great website!

Katie :roll:

Guest Mark

Hi Katie, my cousin lives in Picton with her husband and two year old son. I didn't think it seemed rough at all, quite the opposite infact. It may be that I only saw a small part of it but I thought it was a small, quite rural town anyway?

Guest Mark

Hi Katie, my cousin lives in Picton with her husband and two year old son. I didn't think it seemed rough at all, quite the opposite infact. It may be that I only saw a small part of it but I thought it was a small, quite rural town anyway?

Guest Mark

Actually she used to live in Picton but has since moved. I didn't really see Picton when she lived there so I don't know. Sorry for the bum steer!

• 1 month later...

Hi Katie

your hubby will still need to prove he can do all these things, any certs ect

references from jobs and from clients etc. Although you could go for a bussiness visa, you have to prove you have a bussiness etc.

You do not need to prove you can speak english if you apply from an english speaking country, it is taken for granted.

Guest Katie
Hi Katie

your hubby will still need to prove he can do all these things, any certs ect

references from jobs and from clients etc. Although you could go for a bussiness visa, you have to prove you have a bussiness etc.

You do not need to prove you can speak english if you apply from an english speaking country, it is taken for granted.

THANKS, XERO!

• 4 years later...

Hi Katie,

Welcome on this website

Raj Patel hear

Guest rachbarlow

Could anyone also advise us:

1-Being a self-employed builder with different skills e.g. plastering, carpentry, plumbing, bricklaying etc...(truthfully) without working solidly on one particular skill over 12 mths out of 18 (recent work experience they required). How can we prove to them that he's capable to do the works?

2-Also, how can he prove to dimia that he's a native English speaker without sitting the IELTS test? (He's lost all his school reports)?

Hi Katie welcome to PIO!! My OH is a self employed kitchen fitter. He is gas and elect registered, and we take on projects from bare brick to finished article. We also build extensions etc., so my OH has an array of skills. However, we were advised to focus on one as the TRA, we were told, are not interested in the other skills, just the one you are applying under.

We chose Cabinet maker, as it fitted my OH the best. Even though he has these other skills and quals in these areas we did not submit them to the TRA. You can only apply under one banner so to speak, so maybe focusing on the 'builder' aspect (bricklayer)would be the best???? As we were going as a cabinet maker, he had to go and get an AQF III in Cabinet making, as he had no formal training or aprenticeship as he has been doing it for 22 years now. We did this through ACTS, here is their link ACTS UK | About Us which then allowed use to go down Pathway E through the TRA. They also do bricklayer. However, you need to prove a minimum of 4 years to apply through this route along with your AQF. How many years has he been doing it for??

22 years ago it was different to what it is now. You served your time then went into the industry. Now you have NVQ's and alike, and college's that try to keep records!! I produced a stat dec for my OH for everything we could not prove. In conclusion we passed TRA no problems.

I think that the 12 months out of 18 means within the past 12 months you have to have been in that trade so to speak. I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me!!

I have posted before on TRA evidence but thought that this maybe useful to you. Just to give you an idea the evidence we had to submit to the TRA was as follows:-

1) Evidence of identity. (passport birth cert).

2) CV.

3) Statutory Declaration including details of training, employment, his job, materials, and tools. I included pictures of four jobs that OH carried out and included photos of him at work, pics of his work, tools and van, computer drawn plans which he works to, and his work schedule.

4) Subscriptions and qualifications achieved. (AQF III).

5) Offers of work. Past and Present. Including copies of plans, invoices, and completion certificate for work carried out.

6) Employment references.

7) Trade references. Past and present. (8 in total) (present x3 no older than 12 months)

8) Customer references. Past and Present. (8 in total) (present x3 no older than 12 months)

9) Past and present adverts and evidence of trading.

10) Tax returns. (I included 6 years)

Everything must be idiot proof. I know it may sound stupid but label eveything!!!! They want to find it straight away. If you refer to a pic in your stat dec, have that pic numbered as part of your stat dec.

Hope this helps!! Sorry it is a big long, but heh you are producing a bible!! OH was 2 inch think by the time I had finished!! I don't know if you have already got the application form for the TRA, but here is the website. http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/TRA/LatestNews/Pages/090601_001.aspx

There is loads of useful info on there for you to start.

Good luck hope this helps as a starter! Remember everything MUST be stampted and certified as a true copy of the original. I chose to play safe as I have a really good solicitor and get it done properly so there were no comebacks!! This was all relevant to our occupation - cabinetmaker, and I am sure there are some people on PIO who will have more or less info to this list. I just thought that i'd give you an idea of what we produced, and in returned passed the TRA.

A GB passport holder and being in the UK is good enough to prove you are English spoken.

There are loads of bricklayers on here who are in the process at the mo who I feel maybe able to offer you some great advice, as they would be the same categorie as you!!

Good luck!! Rach x

Guest Sebbers

Hi Katie,

If you are in the UK and oh is thinking of applying as a bricklayer you need to apply to vetassess which consists of a paper based assessment initially, if you pass that then you oh will need to complete a practical assessment in your nominated occupation.

Andrea

Guest rachbarlow

I think initially you need to decide what you are going to apply as and that will determine if you are VETESSAS or TRA!!

Archived