Help please, work experience points!

I hope someone can help me. My husband has worked in the motor trade for over 20 years as a motor mechanic. To gain the 15 points required for the skilled visa it is required you have 8 out of the last 10 years in said profession. He had a break from motor trade for 2 years and 2 months so it looks like we can’t get the 15 points due to the extra 2 months. Is this a huge sticking point? Does anyone know how we can get around this? We are at the EOI stage, I’d hate to think our dreams come to an end over the 2 months...(we have maxed out points in other areas) thanks for any help.

You can do the skills assessment now, and then wait until you have the additional two months, add some additional pay evidence to bring employment up to date and then submit the EOI.

Or wait until you have the extra employment and then do skills, but it is possible to get a skills assessment and then add employment experience to it, via additional up to date evidence.

Whatever you do though, don't submit any EOI until you have a positive skills result letter and ALL relevant evidence to back up the employment you are claiming.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Richard. We have already done the skills assessment and my husband is back being a mechanic. But as he was out of the profession for 2 years and 2 months it forms part of the last 10 years..

What was the skill assessment outcome if that is positive then go ahead with the technical interview and EOI process.
However, your husband should be having job currently.....