190 or 489?

lisawhite123

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help. My husband currently has 55 points and he is a motor mechanic. His profession is on the list for NSW eligible for state nomination which would gain us another 5 points for 190 visa

He is also on the list for Queensland (which we would prefer to be due to family) for a 489 visa and would gain 10 points for regional visa which we are ok with however this is a provisional temp visa.

My question is as we are torn between visa types is it possible to submit 2* EOI for the different visas? And see which comes back first?

We are worried about time lines as he turns 42 in March and if we go for a 489 we need 2 years under belt before applying for PR.

Also which invitation is likely to come back first if any?

(We have done skills assessment and English and all is passed with correct scores etc)

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

When in doubt always go for the permenant visa. If you can stay away from 489 then better as you have to drag yourself for 2 years and 1 year job to be considered for PR. If you go for the 190 then its better for you.

I read somewhere that you can apply for both visa types so you can take whatever comes as positive for you but you might end up paying double the fee? or you and your husband have to apply for it separately?

In these cases I always recommend you to get the help of a registered migrant who can guide and help you on the way. Best of luck.

Archived