Ancestry visa - legal adoption papers

Miona

Hello,

I have lived in the UK twice previously on what was then called UK Grandparent visa or similar. I am looking to go back again next year using the UK Ancestry Visa. I was adopted as a baby and when I got the visa previously don’t remember having to provide proof of my adoption. This time the application states you need to provide legal adoption papers which I have no problem providing if I knew what they are! Here in NSW when you are adopted your birth certificate is changed when adopted.  I know my parents did have adoption papers for me but they have long since vanished and in my 50+ years I have never been asked to provide them before. Could someone please tell what I need and where I can get them? I was born in NSW.

On 10/4/2017 at 22:49, Miona said:

Could someone please tell what I need and where I can get them? I was born in NSW.

I would contact the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  They would have been the authority responsible for changing your birth certificate and should still have copies of the relevant adoption details:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

Thanks for your help with this. I did contact BDM in NSW and there is a certificate they can issue to confirm your adoption. I hope this information helps others in the same situation. In a very strange twist, I was cleaning out a draw yesterday and found my original adoption papers in amongst some other things of my mother’s! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8 October 2017 at 06:52, Miona said:

Thanks for your help with this. I did contact BDM in NSW and there is a certificate they can issue to confirm your adoption. I hope this information helps others in the same situation. In a very strange twist, I was cleaning out a draw yesterday and found my original adoption papers in amongst some other things of my mother’s! 

Hoping you'll still see this after all this time, but I'm in the same situation with my adoption, adopted right at birth so in Canada they change your long form information to show your adoptive parents as your birth parents. 

I have adoption papers its not its not a problem, how did your application go?