Visa Question! subclass 309 or holiday visa.

maxsoaps

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for helping.

My situation is that I have been living with my Australian girlfriend in London for 3 years(I am a British citizen). We want to move to Australia at the beginning of December. I guess it is only fair, she has put up with the cold for a while now! 

Should I initially just get a working holiday visa to start with and then we apply for the 'The temporary Partner visa (subclass 309)'. The Pros seems to be relatively straightforward and less of a big financial hit straight away, the cons being you can only work at one place for six months, may put off potential employees? 

Or can we/should we apply for the 'The temporary Partner visa (subclass 309)' now and I forget about the working holiday visa. Obviously we will need to apply for this so I guess good to start now. But with a flight booked on November 30th will I be able to get in if it still being processed? Have we left it too late and should wait until we are in Aus?

These are big complicated questions and really I am most concerned about the Ashes and us winning that, so if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Max

The 309 is an offshore visa. It needs to be applied for outside of Aus.

Tbh if you met the requirements I'd have applied for the 309 already. And research getting a WHV sorted in case the 309 was not granted before leaving perhaps?

Ideally you would have applied and been granted the 309 before doing anything else but I appreciate people often decide  on a partner visa when farther down the track or committed to a date.

Consider also that an on shore partner visa is running at 15 months plus processing time and until your WHV runs out you'd be stuck on that and its work rights. Then you'd be on the bridging visa while the partner visa processes. 

Honestly, if you meet the requirements and have the evidence to back it up, I'd be looking at off shore asap. 

Thank you Snifter. That is very helpful.

I have spoken to some other people and they have agreed Offshore is best. But there does seem to be some worry about being turned away at Border if you have a WHV and an offshore application ongoing. As anyone done that?

Also just to clarify, let's say I get a WHV for now, as soon as we touch down in Aus can we start the application for the onshore visa or do you have to wait for WHV to end before starting that application? 

Cheers

Iirc lots of people have lodged offshore and entered Aus on either a tourist or WHV. Check our partner visa thread perhaps to see what others behave done and also for people's experience of processing times.