457 Age Restrictions

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

To find the right CEO just becomes harder and potentially more expensive, because if applicant is from overseas they have to be aged under 45 under Malcolm Turnbull’s plan to abolish the 457 visa policy.

The federal government is also tightening eligibility requirements for employer-sponsored permanent skilled visas. This includes that applicants must be aged 45 or under at the time of application. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull reiterated the government’s new “Australia first” policy commitment to 457 visa changes.

Accounting and legal firms and recruitment agencies are worried that an age limit will make it harder to attract skilled CEOs and other high-level executives. Often skilled workers who initially come on 457 visas, after two years with their nominating employer, can apply for permanent residency under the employer-sponsored permanent skilled visas (subclass 186). It said most permanent residency applicants they act for are in the 45-50-year-old age bracket.By limiting the age to 45 the changes will limit the talent and experience available to Australian corporates. And it will also be disappointing if businesses cannot tap into global talent aged over 45 years.

Government expects to see an impact on the level of talent available on foreign work visas for general managers, chief executives and senior strategy people. The age restriction for this visa class could also make local hires more expensive.

Charles Cameron, chief executive of the Recruitment & Consulting Services Association (RCSA), an industry body for the recruitment and employment services sector in Australia and New Zealand, says his members have told him that the CEO search will become harder and “could increase the cost of local talent”.

One of the RCSA’s individuals is TRANSEARCH Australia, a worldwide inquiry firm that sources around 80 percent for every penny of ability at the Chief level. “Their evaluation is it will influence the senior official market,” Mr. Cameron said.

The best effect, he stated, would be in training and social insurance areas where individuals regularly needed more noteworthy specialized aptitudes and no less than 20 to 25 years of experience.
Nicole Gorton, director of recruitment agency Robert Half for the APAC locale, said recruiting for Presidents were frequently worldwide. “Any age confinement for talented outside labors may constrain the extent of official enlistment,” Ms. Gorton said.

It is exceptional to have worldwide experts at the C-suite level in Australian organizations as the accessible local talent market can be limited, making it here and there important to hire from foreign countries.
“The progressions may hold the hazard that organizations will be additionally tested sourcing skilled talent in a few fields, abandoning them unverifiable about their not so distant future development prospects.”

The IT industry will suffer says Nicole Gorton, director of recruitment agency Robert Half.
Also, Turnbull’s arrangement to abolish 457 visas and confine gifted outside ability would “diminish the supply of exceedingly specific experts in a few useful regions, especially inside the technology industry.

“The IT industry is the largest sponsor of 457 laborers, and with the supply of specific Australian IT applicants not taking care of demand in numerous useful zones, organizations are left with basic. With the proposed changes were – according to the ANZSCO occupation list – a few IT job vacancies would be removed from the job list, the skilled workforce shortage will be an increase.

original source: SBS

Tell me about it! It's so annoying but I know people who came on 457 and can't apply for 186 PR anymore because of the age ceiling. I work in IT (senior position) and found already a job, my 457 nomination was approved in 1 month but due to the new law (and the sake of 6 months older than the new requirements), I had to abort it and apply for 186 DE. The employer has to wait for about 12-18 months now until I can start to work for them. Is that fair for both sides ?! If the PM was thinking more about this and not about posting pictures on social media then we would've been in a better position to move our life forward.

Archived