Driving on PR

Guest nastasia

Guest nastasia

Hi, I have my PR for more than 3 years but has not moved to Melbourne yet. I will be going for 2 weeks holidays in Melbourne soon. Can I use my overseas driving license to drive in Melbourne or should I have an Australian driving license?

Permanent Visa

If you hold a permanent visa (issued under the Migration Act 1958) you may drive on your overseas driver licence if it's written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit for:

• 6 months from the date you first entered Australia (if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia), or
  • 6 months from the date when the permanent visa was issued (if the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia).

If you want to continue driving in Victoria after this time you must get a Victorian driver licence.

The above is from https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

Guest nastasia
47 minutes ago, snifter said:

Perhaps check to see if they define between simply holding PR and being resident living in the country holding it?

Yes , I was hoping someone would have been in a similar situation and could clarify on this

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @nastasia reading the post that @Skani kindly shared I can't see any problems using your UK license If your visa was granted offshore and according to your initial post you haven't lived in Australia. Can I ask, are you moving over for good? 

Vicroads use to be terrible and didn't know the guidelines themselves and every time you called you would get a different answer. Back then it was wrote that you had to change within 6 months of getting your PR, so if you got your visa grant letter in January you had to have a Vic license in July even if you only arrive in July,  thankfully they have made it clearer these days but it's still not set in stone.

TBH if you are only here on holiday I don't see any issues with driving on a UK license. When we changed our UK license to a VicRoads license they put a hole punch through our UK license making it invalid so you definitely don't want this to happen.

Guest nastasia
On 8 September 2017 at 19:10, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @nastasia reading the post that @Skani kindly shared I can't see any problems using your UK license If your visa was granted offshore and according to your initial post you haven't lived in Australia. Can I ask, are you moving over for good? 

Vicroads use to be terrible and didn't know the guidelines themselves and every time you called you would get a different answer. Back then it was wrote that you had to change within 6 months of getting your PR, so if you got your visa grant letter in January you had to have a Vic license in July even if you only arrive in July,  thankfully they have made it clearer these days but it's still not set in stone.

TBH if you are only here on holiday I don't see any issues with driving on a UK license. When we changed our UK license to a VicRoads license they put a hole punch through our UK license making it invalid so you definitely don't want this to happen.

I will be moving next year. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

On ‎8‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 23:10, The Pom Queen said:

That's quite concerning that they put a hole through your UK license. They don't have a remit to null documentation issued by a different country you're a citizen of or to remove it from you.

What I think they've misunderstood is that if you change to a Vic license from a different state that is when they do that to your old license. In WA they remove it from you at the point of giving your new license - but only in the case of it being a license issued by a different state.

Edited by Spleenus

26 minutes ago, Spleenus said:

That's quite concerning that they put a hole through your UK license. They don't have a remit to null documentation issued by a different country you're a citizen of or to remove it from you.

What I think they've misunderstood is that if you change to a Vic license from a different state that is when they do that to your old license. In WA they remove it from you at the point of giving your new license - but only in the case of it being a license issued by a different state.

They don't always re UK licence. It doesn't seem to be the norm where we are that this is done. UK licence was just handed back, intact. Same for others I've spoken to about it. 

You can always ask them not to deface it or ask them what they do with it *before* you hand it over.