Shipping household items from Hong Kong

nick78

Hi,

I will be moving from Hong Kong to Melbourne in a few months and need to ship over my household items. The total contents will fill about 10x 20KG cardboard boxes. I am not shipping furniture apart from 2 medium sized stereo speakers.

My company will not be providing moving assistance so I will not be using a container. I was planning to self pack my items or enlist a packer to assist and then bring the contents to the HK post office for shipping to Australia. The contents will be shipped to a friends home and arrive either before or after I arrive in Australia.

At first I thought I could just visit the HK post and fill in a customs form to do this but it seems like there might be more involved. Am I missing any other requirements?

Nick

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nick @nick78 

Sorry you haven't had a response I don't think many of us have shipped from HK to Au. Personally we send from the UK and US to Au and from our experience as long as there are no prohibited goods in the package and the value is under $1000 it should be plain sailing. I would probably suggest staggering the parcels if possible as it may look suspicious for all to come together. Can I ask how much it costs for a 20kg parcel from HK to Au, I bet it's so much cheaper than sending the other way

Hi @The Pom Queen

Thanks for the information. The price to ship a 20kg parcel from HK to Melbourne via ship is $500 HKD ( AUD $80). You can add insurance for an extra HKD 100.

I have since decided I have a bit too much to attempt this myself so I have a quote now to move 100cu ft worth of items for about HKD $8,700 via a shipping company (SwiftRelo). They also help pack and unpack for that price.