Moving to oz

Berniearry

Hi we are moving to oz in October from the uk. we are looking at a house in Eatons Hill. We've 2 daughters ages 21 yr old an 18 yr old & our son is 11 (12 in May). Our granddaughter is 16 months old. I'd like to know what there is in the area. Shops , schools etc & what life would be like for my elder girls. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

thankyou 

Hi 

I assume you mean Eatons Hill Brisbane. I have lots of good friends in Eatons Hill. It is a great area for families. There is a new shopping centre with supermarket etc. There is also the Eatons Hill Hotel which has lots of events - gigs etc. Would be good for nightlife for your older 2 children, without them having to go into CBD. 

Eatons Hill is also close to Albany Creek, which also has a great centre, roller skating rink which your son might like - very popular with my kids. 

Only issue that I have with it is that it is a little more tricky to get into CBD because it isn't on the train line so you may end up ferrying your children around a bit. 

Schools are fine. 

What visas have you got for your daughters? Are they in education? 

Good luck - October will come around quickly! 

P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevobiggam said:

Sorry to be rude but are you moving for good ?
If so how did you manage it as iv had to give up on that dream since visa changed and harder to get residency?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Yes we are we've got permanent visas my husband is in the parachute regiment after 23yrs service was offered a job in the ADF. As he's in the army we all get citizenship after 3 months as he has to be a citizen. Also if anything happens to him whilst on a tour etc we won't have to leave. We love Australia we travelled the Queensland coast. We got our visa's a after 3 months of applying for them. 

Edited by Berniearry
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Peachy said:

Hi 

I assume you mean Eatons Hill Brisbane. I have lots of good friends in Eatons Hill. It is a great area for families. There is a new shopping centre with supermarket etc. There is also the Eatons Hill Hotel which has lots of events - gigs etc. Would be good for nightlife for your older 2 children, without them having to go into CBD. 

Eatons Hill is also close to Albany Creek, which also has a great centre, roller skating rink which your son might like - very popular with my kids. 

Only issue that I have with it is that it is a little more tricky to get into CBD because it isn't on the train line so you may end up ferrying your children around a bit. 

Schools are fine. 

What visas have you got for your daughters? Are they in education? 

Good luck - October will come around quickly! 

P

Sorry yes I meant to put Brisbane. My 18 yr old is in college she's just done her 2nd year diloma in professional chefs so I need a good college near to us as she's not driving yet. My 21 yr old will be working once we are settled. I'm a bit worried as I don't want to be stuck out of the hussle & bustle of life as my husband will be going away a lot. I've read it's very quiet there & not much to do. 

We've all got permanent visas but with my husband going into the ADF we get citizenship within 3 months of arriving. We are not the rough army family I've read about on this forum. One street sounded like they'd made it into a mini Beirut, which scares me to be honest. 

Thankyou for replying 

sara 

I know lots of army families and they are all lovely! The schools are fantastic at settling in the new army families because they are aware that they move around so much. When I pick up my kids, there are always men and women in uniform dropping by to collect their children. 

Eatons Hill is nice and leafy with houses on big plots. And about the only place in Brisbane where there are lots of roundabouts!!

Not sure if you are churchy people but there is a great community church in the area too - even if you aren't church people, they do good children's groups which would be a great way for your granddaughter to make friends. I really like Eatons Hill and would have considered moving there but for the transport issue. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stevobiggam said:

Ah got you amazing well I wish you and family all the best, not so easy for me now that visa has changed and obviously not in the forces lol
The dream will just have to be a dream now emoji1303.png

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

We've been planning it for 10 yrs. it's taken 2 yrs from interviews to obtaining visa's etc. It has been a long two years. There's other ways around it. My brother in law got a job & was sponsored so that's how they moved there. Good luck 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peachy said:

I know lots of army families and they are all lovely! The schools are fantastic at settling in the new army families because they are aware that they move around so much. When I pick up my kids, there are always men and women in uniform dropping by to collect their children. 

Eatons Hill is nice and leafy with houses on big plots. And about the only place in Brisbane where there are lots of roundabouts!!

Not sure if you are churchy people but there is a great community church in the area too - even if you aren't church people, they do good children's groups which would be a great way for your granddaughter to make friends. I really like Eatons Hill and would have considered moving there but for the transport issue. 

Thankyou for that information. My sons severely autistic but he sat the Mensa high IQ test he's in the top 1% in the uk for high IQ's. The army provide a mentor to help him settle. I won't have him in a special school. He's just got his SATS results which are the highest in the county. He's very clever I need a nice school for him that's not huge like here. Is it right they are all quite small ?? 

Is there any good links to look at Eaton Hills area etc. 

Thankyou 

oh & no we are not churchy people 

Edited by Berniearry

Guest The Pom Queen

You don't need to be churchy people to go to a church school, we have sent our boys to both Catholic and Faith Lutheran schools and neither have been religious, in fact I think we did more religion when I was at a local school.

Faith Lutheran schools are wonderful schools, I don't know if there are any near by but the two my son have attended are more like one big family than a school, the class sizes are so much smaller, his last school there were 12 in his class. Children who couldn't sit still on chairs were provided with bean bags to sit on and work. They are such lovely caring schools.