Statistician removed from all lists-help

Lauren4512

My partners started the visa process (still early days) under statistician code. It looks like this occupation has been removed completely from all lists although isn't specially called out anywhere. It wasn't shortlisted for removal but it's gone! 

We've called our agent to check and waiting to hear back for confirmation! One thing after another so far, my occupation was removed in April so it feels like we're back to square one again. 

My partners degree is in Maths so potentially still an option to apply under this occupation. Does anyone know how close a match the occupation description needs to be for a skills assessment pass? 

Maths/stats both fall under the Actuary code therefore majority of the 'main role duties' are the same for both but the main one is slightly different I believe. 

Hopefuly hear back from our agent soon and we will ask them the above :) any advice/information is appreciated though! 

Thanks

lauren 

Sorry, should've been clearer. Statistician was previously eligible for PR via state sponsorship and now we can no longer find it on the short term or medium list likewise the Anzsco website no longer shows statistician as available for state sponsorship. 

Hi Laureen4512, i have the same question as well. My situation is more sad because I got the positive feedback from vetassess last month and now waiting for ielts test. Unfortunately, statistician is no longer in the new occupation list. i'm so lost....not sure when it would reopen again.  

Hopefully some expert will give some guideline. Actually my job is about data modeling and Big data analytics. But my qualification is applied statistics. So, i'm applying statistician as my occupation. Not sure that any other options such as change my occupation to others.

Oh no, what are you going to do now? That's similar to my partner, although his qualification is Maths with statistics his roles have all be data/information analytics. Not sure if we will be able to go down the mathematics route as that is still on the list. He would get the degree points we're just not sure if he would get the skills assessment match! 

I read that AU universities offer a data scientist course and I think they have students graduating this year...so potentially statistician was removed as they think grads could fulfill the gaps in the market? That's me just guessing though! 

oh we're in the same boat! I just wanna submitted my skills assessment for statistician these days and happened to get this really sad news! Just wondering can I do VETASSESS for mathematician rather than statistician? Let's keep in touch.

22 hours ago, Lauren4512 said:

Oh no, what are you going to do now? That's similar to my partner, although his qualification is Maths with statistics his roles have all be data/information analytics. Not sure if we will be able to go down the mathematics route as that is still on the list. He would get the degree points we're just not sure if he would get the skills assessment match! 

I read that AU universities offer a data scientist course and I think they have students graduating this year...so potentially statistician was removed as they think grads could fulfill the gaps in the market? That's me just guessing though! 

I guess the other option is to explore employer sponsored routes, but of course that won't work for everybody

• 6 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 01:31, Lauren4512 said:

My partners started the visa process (still early days) under statistician code. It looks like this occupation has been removed completely from all lists although isn't specially called out anywhere. It wasn't shortlisted for removal but it's gone! 

We've called our agent to check and waiting to hear back for confirmation! One thing after another so far, my occupation was removed in April so it feels like we're back to square one again. 

My partners degree is in Maths so potentially still an option to apply under this occupation. Does anyone know how close a match the occupation description needs to be for a skills assessment pass? 

Maths/stats both fall under the Actuary code therefore majority of the 'main role duties' are the same for both but the main one is slightly different I believe. 

Hopefuly hear back from our agent soon and we will ask them the above :) any advice/information is appreciated though! 

Thanks

lauren 

Hello Lauren, 

Any update from your agent?

Thank you!