Visa processing prioritisation - Is it first come first served?

haynesy

Hi All,

I'm new to this site but looks like its full of great information and lots of very knowledgeable people so I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

A bit about me.  My husband and I have been together for 7 yrs (married for 5).  He is Aussie and I am English.  We have two children, both of whom now have their dual nationality and passports.  We are looking at moving to Queensland and so I will be applying for the partner visa.  Given my situation it should in theory be an easy application and be highly unlikely to be declined.  Do you know if any priority is given to so called 'easy win' applications?  I.e. do they do any initial assessment before processing?  Or do all applications simply go into a queue to get processed within the standard time frame?

I understand that the current processing time for these visas is around 12-18mths.  Is that a fairly accurate representation of people's experiences?

Thank you!

There is no priority for partner visa. You lodge, you go into the processing queue and wait your turn. 

Current timeframes are stated as that but in recent times off shore applications are being processed far quicker generally but that is not always the case. Check our partner visa thread to see what people's wait times off shore currently are. Be aware processing times could blow out to the actual listed wait time at any point and you'd be just having to wait. 

Keep in mind there could likely be a price hike at the end of the month. And possible changes to the application process could happen at some point. If you plan to lodge off shore and can do so, try to get it done sooner rather than later.