Young family moving to Brisbane (Redland Bay)...school and community questions.

Liz.M

Hi, my husband has a 457 Visa, and we move out to Brisbane on 25th July. I have 3 daughters (4yrs, 6yrs and 15yrs)...and just need to confirm the schooling process.

We visited last week, and have narrowed our desired area to Cleveland, Wellington Point and Redland Bay. And have a potential house pinpointed in Redland Bay.

Do we pay school fees if we're on a 457?

How do we enroll?

What is the process moving from yr 10 to yr 11 for my 15 yr old...is there a streamlining of subjects similar to UK yr 9 options??

Is there a good sense of community in Redland Bay...I won't be working straight away, so will need and want to make friends etc...

Thanks for any advice

Liz x

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Guest The Pom Queen

You have chosen some lovely areas to consider and I think you would be happy in any of them.

In regards to schools it all depends if you are going state or private. If you are going state then the schools will more than likely be zoned meaning you have to live in their catchment area. Private/church schools seem to offer a little more leeway. I've heard Ormiston is a great school but maybe too far if you take that house. Redland College is good, the state schools are a little touch and go. What I do like about some of the schools is that they go from prep to Yr 12 so when you make the move over you don't need to change schools again and if they have siblings they can all go to the same school

In regards to subjects your child will be given (I think it's 6) subjects to choose from. Some are compulsory ie maths and English.

In Year 11 they usually do Units 1 and 2 of that subject and in Yr 12 they do Units 3 and 4.