Couples WHV

meharvey1

Hi,

My partner and I are planning on starting a WHV at the end of September, likely beginning in Sydney.

Has anyone got any experience/advice for travelling with a partner to Oz on a WHV? Particularly in regards to accommodation or jobs. 

We are not keen on staying in hostels, at least, not with other people. Is it common for WHV people to rent? Is it affordable in Sydney, or other places? What sort of pricing can we expect?

We have yet to send out CVs and find jobs, and I predict that where we will want to live will depend on where we are working. But any advice now would help!

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @meharvey1 there are lots of people who travel together, some couples some just friends. If you don't want to go in a hostel have you thought of buying a car or campervan. Some people buy a car and throw a mattress in the back. Renting a house will be expensive and most will want a minimum of 6 months contract. You could look at houseshares on gumtree, I don't know for Sydney but in Queensland they tend to range from $100 - $250 a week, some include all utilities others don't. One good thing about house shares is you aren't usually stuck in a contract. 

Are you considering doing a 2nd year visa? If so I would recommend doing your qualifying work as soon as possible. 

16 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @meharvey1 there are lots of people who travel together, some couples some just friends. If you don't want to go in a hostel have you thought of buying a car or campervan. Some people buy a car and throw a mattress in the back. Renting a house will be expensive and most will want a minimum of 6 months contract. You could look at houseshares on gumtree, I don't know for Sydney but in Queensland they tend to range from $100 - $250 a week, some include all utilities others don't. One good thing about house shares is you aren't usually stuck in a contract. 

Are you considering doing a 2nd year visa? If so I would recommend doing your qualifying work as soon as possible. 

Hey! Thanks for getting back to us. 

I think that the houseshare option sounds like the most appropriate. Given we earn enough!

At the moment, we dont want a 2 year visa. We are interested in finding some basic work (6 months obviously) in our own industries, just to get some experience. Rather than doing the 3 months of farming etc

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
2 minutes ago, meharvey1 said:

Hey! Thanks for getting back to us. 

I think that the houseshare option sounds like the most appropriate. Given we earn enough!

At the moment, we dont want a 2 year visa. We are interested in finding some basic work (6 months obviously) in our own industries, just to get some experience. Rather than doing the 3 months of farming etc

Thanks

I don't blame you it's hard work fruit picking etc. I know a number of people who have come over thinking the same and regretted not doing it.

Lets hope you manage to find work in your current field, what do you both do?

18 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I don't blame you it's hard work fruit picking etc. I know a number of people who have come over thinking the same and regretted not doing it.

Lets hope you manage to find work in your current field, what do you both do?

Well I'm a Science Communicator, which is a job description that hasnt actually left the UK (and maybe US) yet. Basically, its working in media (radio/tv), journalism, museums, aquariums etc. in any capacity that relates to science. He is a product designer, as well as doing freelance jobs on the side for graphic design jobs.

Neither of us are expecting anything significant in our sectors (we know that Oz has their own professionals etc!), but if I could get a desk job in a museum or something, and him in retail in a design shop, that would be great for keeping in touch with our interests. Is this realistic?

Edited by meharvey1