457 to PR Before 2 years

Silverteen

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked previously. My wife, 1 year old son and myself moved to Adelaide at end of November from the UK on a work sponsored 457 visa.

Now we are here we have fallen in love with the lifestyle here. We're convinced we won't want to return home and have thought about applying for PR early rather than waiting for the 2 years for the temporary residence transitional visa route.

Apart from loving life here, we want to buy a home here rather than renting so we can settle further and also already having a 1 year old and another baby on the way my wife would love to return to work once the baby has arrived and she has spend maybe 9 -12 months with the baby, I understand as we're on a 457 visa we wont get any help with childcare and with 2 children to pay for childcare this makes returning to work almost unviable without any help. I understand if we become PR we would be entitled to the same assistance with child care costs as Australian citizens? My wife is a secondary school teacher and even if she achieved a decent wage paying child care for 2 would eat a massive chunk out of her salary.

When looking to purchase a house we were told as we are temp residents we would need to pay $5k fee for FIRB approval for any property purchase which seems like a waste to me as id be better off spending the money on becoming PR.

What options do we have In achieving PR? Im sure my employer would be happy to sponsor PR if that is an option or I could probably achieve PR through skills.

I hope this makes sense but any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance

You can either apply yourself for a PR visa if you are eligible anyway, or if you get your employer to do it it'll have to be through the direct entry route rather than transition (this is the only relevance of the 2 years). DE requires skills assessments and points tests like other PR visas (maybe not if you earn enough), transition route gets you out of some of that requirement but there's the wait

The $5K fee for FIRB approval is correct and this makes it unviable really to buy as temporary residents. We bought as TRs but there was no fee then, it was brought in after media clamour/noise about Chinese buyers of property. This still happens because it was always mostly done through local agents/family and the same people the change was supposed to assuage are still whinging, but that's another thread

Good luck

You can either apply yourself for a PR visa if you are eligible anyway, or if you get your employer to do it it'll have to be through the direct entry route rather than transition (this is the only relevance of the 2 years). DE requires skills assessments and points tests like other PR visas (maybe not if you earn enough), transition route gets you out of some of that requirement but there's the wait

The $5K fee for FIRB approval is correct and this makes it unviable really to buy as temporary residents. We bought as TRs but there was no fee then, it was brought in after media clamour/noise about Chinese buyers of property. This still happens because it was always mostly done through local agents/family and the same people the change was supposed to assuage are still whinging, but that's another thread

Good luck

Does the direct entry route mean I have to wait 2 years? and then do this through employer?

If I did apply for PR based on eligibility what visa would I need to apply for? am I right in thinking this is the 190?

Hopefully a visa/migration agent will spot this and give you better/more accurate advice

The 186 visa still takes time to process. From start to finish with me it was about 7-8 months including all the faffing with medicals and police checks etc. Actual application lodged to grant was about 3 months. This was nearly 3 years ago and I believe it's got slower, if anything

@Silverteen: Hi, if you want to go via the employer nominated route there is only one option to apply before completing two years which is the Direct Entry Stream. The other option as pointed out in the above post is to wait two years and go via transition stream. There is yet another option to apply for PR individually which i would recommend - find out if your occupation is on the SOL (not CSOL) and apply by yourself for PR without employer nomination - 189/190 visa. I am an applicant of direct entry via employer nomination and have been waiting since over 10 months with no response from the department. There is another thread which talks about 186 visa processing timelines here and you will see it depends on a lot of factors and getting approval within the 6 month timeframe is very rare. If you apply individually you would spend little more money as compared to ENS route, however you are sure to get approval fast if the government requires your skill as per SOL - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

Just my two cents.

here is the thread which talks about 186 timeline- as you can see people are waiting since over a year as well- http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158703&page=3298

I do not want anyone else to go through the torture that waiting for PR is. Hence would suggest please consult as many people as you can before applying. I only wish i had applied individually rather than through employer coz the wait is never ending.

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked previously. My wife, 1 year old son and myself moved to Adelaide at end of November from the UK on a work sponsored 457 visa.

Now we are here we have fallen in love with the lifestyle here. We're convinced we won't want to return home and have thought about applying for PR early rather than waiting for the 2 years for the temporary residence transitional visa route.

Apart from loving life here, we want to buy a home here rather than renting so we can settle further and also already having a 1 year old and another baby on the way my wife would love to return to work once the baby has arrived and she has spend maybe 9 -12 months with the baby, I understand as we're on a 457 visa we wont get any help with childcare and with 2 children to pay for childcare this makes returning to work almost unviable without any help. I understand if we become PR we would be entitled to the same assistance with child care costs as Australian citizens? My wife is a secondary school teacher and even if she achieved a decent wage paying child care for 2 would eat a massive chunk out of her salary.

When looking to purchase a house we were told as we are temp residents we would need to pay $5k fee for FIRB approval for any property purchase which seems like a waste to me as id be better off spending the money on becoming PR.

What options do we have In achieving PR? Im sure my employer would be happy to sponsor PR if that is an option or I could probably achieve PR through skills.

I hope this makes sense but any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance