A couple of (probably v basic) questions re EOI for 189

Cocohoney

Hi, we have been in Australia for a month on a 457, husband is a doctor working for RFDS.

We would like to put in for a permanent visa as soon as possible and think we would qualify for a 189, husband's job is on the SOL.

I am nervous of starting the EOI until I have everything straight, so a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answer to-

Are qualifications points only given for those qualifications from an Australian educational institution? In that case my husband's medical degree from the UK would only count for 10 points as "An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation".

This has confused me as there is then a separate section for Australian study requirement.

If it does count then is a medical degree considered a doctorate (strictly speaking it isn't, although they are called doctor), which is 20 points, or a bachelor's for 15 points?

We are UK born, do we need an English language test? If not, does he get any 'automatic' points?

I am only taking these questions from the info on the immigration website about the points test, I haven't actually tried in the Skill Select website- can I do that to get a clearer idea of the questions (will it give me a clearer idea?!) and not submit it if I am unsure.

Also, should I look at booking medicals before the EOI is submitted? I know you can't do it once it is in and you are waiting to be selected, and in the UK it took a really long time for an appt to be available. We would probably go to Sydney for ours (I think husband's 457 one can be used but the rest of the family will need one), are appts easy to get?

Basically, he doesn't get enough points unless we get some for english language, or more than 10 for qualifications. We didn't need to do the test for the 457 so don't have it already, and other online points tests available seem to give him more points for his quals, so I'm clutching at straws that this is the case and he won't have to go through the faff of an IELTS.

Thanks to anyone who can help x

Hi Cocohoney -

Thanks for the note. Overseas qualifications are acceptable to the extent they are assessed as equivalent to Australian qualifications. So I would think he would at least get 15 points for the Bachelor degree I assume he has that underpins his medical degree. Generally medical degrees such as an MD or MBBS degree are AQF level 7 or 9 and are not AQF level 10 as doctoral (PhD) degrees including substantial research are, so unless he has a PhD, it's likely he could claim 15 points only for the qualifications.

No need for an English test, but no points either if no test is taken - is always possible to take an English test (even if exempt) and use the points.

No reason to book medicals before an EOI is submitted as they expire in a year and it could be some time before you receive an invitation (if at all) - better to book medicals either just before or just after lodging your visa application.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply, that's super helpful.

I have misread then, I thought if I submitted an EOI then I couldn't book a medical unless (or hopefully until) invited.

OK, so he would scrape in with 60 points if he gets 15 for his qualifications. Perhaps an English test would be a good idea to boost his points! Can he submit the EOI and then update it once he does an IELTS?