Driving licence 457 temp overseas licence

baggo

Hi all

Will be arriving on 457 in March. Have current UK driving licence. Seen lots about how Aus licence very valuable for ID for rental etc. Also note that as on 457 not required to have a licence and I will have a temporary overseas licence. Some questions.

1. Is the temp overseas licence a physical card that I must apply for or it is just a way of saying you're ok to drive if you carry a valid uk one?

2. I see on the roads website that someone on a 457 can still apply for a proper licence

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html#ApplyingforaNSWlicenceasatemporaryoverseasvisitor

This says I would get a Q number. It links to the 'moving to NSW page'. Problem is there isn't any more information on that page, it just talks about PR people. Can anyone advise on this process? That is, if i chose to apply for a proper NSW licence whilst on a 457, what documentation do i need, do i need a test etc.

I have done research but the roads website has me trapped in an infinite loop of links with no answers!

B

You don't get an actual temporary licence, you just carry your UK one. You don't need to get an Australian licence, we didn't until we became PR and never had an issue of ID - people took the UK one as a substitute we found. You can get an Australian one if you like, the choice is up to you. People will say its essential for rentals etc, we didn't find that.

No test required if you have a full licence already, we just took the card and paper component and an Australian one was issued on the spot.

Edited by Tickled Pink

OK so if it's easy can someone explain how it's done? The roads and maritime website says a PR visa is necessary and doesn't give the alternative approach for someone on a 457.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You move to the country. Google the nearest transport office to your location. Look at when the opening hours are. Arrive, wait in line with your licence and paper counterpart, fill out a form. Pay money. Get photo taken for licence. Wait a few moments for them to put licence together. Get given licence. Leave and go home.

Edited by Tickled Pink

Haha great. But why does the website then insist a PR visa is necessary. So you just turned up with your 457 and lots of ID etc and that was that?

Going back some years, I'm a citizen now. But yes, I turned up (I had actually dropped in prior to pick up the necessary form to fill in) with both parts of my UK driving licence, passport for ID and probably a printed copy of my 457 visa grant. I think I was there for about 30 min all in. They take the photo there and then, laminate your new licence so you leave with it in your hand.

OK. Sounds like it's mayve something worth doing in the first few days but then presumably an aus address is required. But it's difficult to get a rental without an aus licence! Maybe better to wait until in a rental property rather than giving a short term airbnb address?

OK. Sounds like it's mayve something worth doing in the first few days but then presumably an aus address is required. But it's difficult to get a rental without an aus licence! Maybe better to wait until in a rental property rather than giving a short term airbnb address?

I didn't get mine for months. No need. At the time it was an unnecessary expense when I'd first moved over. We didn't have any trouble getting our initial rental for first few months, then our second more permeant place where we settled longer term. I'm not sure why people stress about it being essential to get rentals etc, we didn't need it. We got phone contracts, utilities etc all without one.

As far as the rental 100 point check goes, there is a list of things you can use and an Australian license is just one.

For 457 visa holders, the licence says evidence of permanent residence is not provided. You can definitely take your time to do it, I just found it useful with school registration and rentals as we live in a very popular area where rental is not that easy to get and the schools have strict catchment area.