189 visa - no official experience

DJUKI

Hi,

My name is Dario and I'm from Croatia.

I'm planing to migrate to Australia on a 189 visa.

I have finished secondary school for land surveying (Geodetic technical school) in Croatia and I have finished five year Faculty of geodesy at the University of Zagreb in Croatia earning a mag. ing et geoinf. title with a major in a field of Cartography and photogrammetry.

On the SOL there are three occupations that i qualify for; surveyor, cartographer and spatial scientist.

They are assessed by SSSI and VETASSESS.

My concern is the fact that I have no official experience in the selected occupations.

My age, "years of experience', education degree and IELTS score of 8 lands me at 60 points necessary for the 189 visa.

What are the chances of getting a positive assessment in my situation?

If you need any additional info please feel free to ask.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Dario

Hi Dario -

Assuming you are not claiming any points for work experience, the key comes down to whether SSSI or VETASSESS will provide a skills assessment based on whatever work experience you may have in the occupation you select. I believe you may have an issue at VETASSESS as most of their assessments require a qualifying educational qualification and a minimum amount of work experience, although there are several options for each of the groups (Group A/B/C/etc) of occupations. Remember that skills assessors make up their own requirements, which can in many cases be more difficult to satisfy than DIBP's requirements such as the points test, etc. Best to check carefully with each skills assessor to see what their minimum work, educational and language requirements might be.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

Thank you for your reply.

You are right about the VETASSESS. I found an Eligibility list on their web site stating "You have at least one year of employment experience obtained in the last five years which is highly relevant to your nominated occupation".

Could you please clarify what you meant by "several options for each of the groups (Group A/B/C/etc) of occupations".

As for the SSSI, I was unable to find any explicit requirements for the relevant experience.

I'll try and send an email to the SSSI and see if I can get an answer.

Thank you once again.

Hi Djuki -

Sorry for any confusion - I was referring to VETASSESS's master list of occupations - each occupation they assess belongs to one of their groups, and each group has slightly different requirements for the number of years of experience combined with the educational qualifications. Suggest you contact SSSI to clarify - they appear to require employment referees, but best to check with them directly.

Best,

Mark Northam