Resident for tax purposes - yes or no?

Guest Jack-AUS

Guest Jack-AUS

Good morning everybody!

I am planning to leave in February for my WHV. Regarding the possibility of being a "resident for tax purposes" i read as follows:

you have always lived in Australia

you moved to Australia and live here permanently

you have been in Australia continuously for six months or more, and for most of the time you have been in the same job, and living in the same place

you have been in Australia for more than half of the financial year, unless your usual home is overseas, and you do not intend to live in Australia.

As the financial year ends on 30 June 2017, do I have to pay full taxes during the period between February 2017 and June 30 2017?

Any ways to be considered a resident for tax purposes even if i will be in Australia for only 5 months?

Additionally, can i travel a little and still being considered a resident? for instance, i'd like to go one or two weeks to New Zealand.

Many thanks!

Hi, my son did this couple years ago. You will not be classed as a resident as you will not have lived or worked in the same place for 6 months. If you do pay tax which is normal even on a WHV approx 30% You can claim it back end of financial year. Not sure about how the travelling bit NZ. Very easy to claim back your tax if you are with a good employer. Just have your EOFY statement will tell you what you have paid and then you can just go to a mall where there are a lot of tax claimant officers or I use etax online takes about 15 mins so easy cost approx $90 tax refund normally in bank within 14 days

hope this helps Deb