Working Holiday Visa - American company, freelance work - procedures?

baral5679

Hi all,

I've moved to Australia recently and have continued working for an American company on a freelance basis. The company is not based in Australia so is not a registered Australian company.

I am on a working holiday visa so have the right to work here. Am I correct in thinking I can work for my current company in Australia for a period of 6 months? Who am I to notify that I have begun work in Australia on a freelance basis? In terms of tax registration, what is necessary for a WHV?

Thank you for any help/advice/comments.

Q: I am on a working holiday visa so have the right to work here. Am I correct in thinking I can work for my current company in Australia for a period of 6 months? Who am I to notify that I have begun work in Australia on a freelance basis?

A: There is a condition attached to your WHV, you can only be working for one employer for up to 6 month or will breach your visa condition, which will result of your visa being cancelled. You do not need to notify anyone but not to breach your visa condition, the employer however, also required to check your visa status before employing you.

Freelance should be considered as self-employed, therefore the question will largely depends on who is the end user? The condition may limit you to provide your service to same the end user for up to 6 months only. It certainly a bit complicated then working for a company as paid employee.

To work for American company while in Australia will have to be considered separately, case by case basis.

In relation to Taxation, I would suggest you to consult with a lawyer or taxation agent who familiar with Australian taxation laws, but as genuine rule, everyone needs to lodge tax return (Australian Term), you may apply for a Tax File No to start with, if not yet have one.

Edited by Wei Shu