Advice for nurses looking to work in Australia....

Ciaran Durkin

For any nurses considering relocating to Australia in the future I would like to pass on some advice as to nursing specialties that are in demand throughout Australia;

Theatre nurses

Anaesthetic and Recovery

Oncology

ICU - If given the opportunity to complete a post grad ICU course this will help massively in securing a job in Aus.

ED/A&E Nurse

Aged Care

Cath Lab

If you can gain experience in any of the above areas you shouldn't find it difficult to secure a job in Australia as there has been a shortage of experienced nurses in these areas for the last 4-5 years and will likely be the same in the future.

If anyone has any questions id be more than happy to help

Hello Ciaran,

i just saw on another post that you recruit nurses in Australia. I'm awaiting a PR visa grant and plan to move to Perth wi my partner. I already have AHPRA in principle which will need validating in Jan 2017 so all being well we hope to get there for then. I have already made contact with a temporary nursing agency who have said that I'm at interview stage but they suggested that I update them with my visa process before proceeding.

Anyway, I'm a paediatric nurse, I've been qualified 2.5 years and have had experience in adolescent health, general paediatrics and currently I'm working in teenage oncology/haematology. I would also like to explore opportunities in PICU.

I just wanted to have an idea about the recruitmsnt process, current vacancies, ideally permanent based in Perth. Also what I should prepare for interviews. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lara

Hi Lara

We certainly do, at this moment in time we don't have any positions available in Perth, although that is always subject to change. We do have a paeds position available in Adelaide.

if you're set on Perth then I would recommend contacting the larger Public/Private hospitals in the area in which you intend on basing yourself. If you contact the HR team and explain that you have PR and AHPRA im sure you wont have much trouble in securing interviews. Interviews can vary from hospital to hospital however they often are quite informal, usually telephone/Skype calls. They usually ask lots of personal questions about you and who is relocating with you (family etc) and your motivation for wanting to work with them. They will also likely ask you some clinical nursing scenarios specific to your nursing area. That is the main part of the interview process, assuming you have done well they will ask to take references and all being ok a job offer usually follows. Hope this helps, any other questions let me know.

Ciaran

www.hecareers.com

Archived