Offshore or Onshore? Partner Visa

Lassie

Hello,

I'am a UK citizen and my husband is Australian. We have just got married.

We have been living and met here in Canada. My husbands Canadian visa expires in November and we are looking to travel to Australia around that time.

We are struggling to decide whether to lodge the Partner visa offshore from here in Canada, or travel to Australia (i can only travel there on a visitor visa) and then lodge it onshore.

Can an agent possibly advise on our best course of action?

Thank you very much

Hello,

I'am a UK citizen and my husband is Australian. We have just got married.

We have been living and met here in Canada. My husbands Canadian visa expires in November and we are looking to travel to Australia around that time.

We are struggling to decide whether to lodge the Partner visa offshore from here in Canada, or travel to Australia (i can only travel there on a visitor visa) and then lodge it onshore.

Can an agent possibly advise on our best course of action?

Thank you very much

Hi Lassie,

Ultimately it all depends on whether you're prepared to tell the truth on your arrival card, where you're asked how long you intend to stay. Most visitors arrive on a three month visa, never more than 12 months.

Thousands of people do apply for partner visas in Australia every year and for those people the main issue is normally waiting for their initial visa conditions to expire before they can go onto a Bridging Visa A with permission to work while sitting out the 15 month processing time.

cheers,

George Lombard

Thank you George.

Yes well this is the problem! We were planning on applying from canada. It will be pushed for time though, as we need to apply for our marriage cert, receive that etc and leave canada by november. Will also have the problem of having to get the medicals done for it then in australia too, where i will have no health cover.

We are looking at getting me a 12 month visitor visa for australia.

I really dont know what to do! :/

Archived