Delayed Tourist visa for Dad

BadgerLady

Dad applied on 3rd August for a Tourist (600) visa, as he's done for the last 4 summers, to come out and visit me from the UK. Normally it's granted within 24 hours.

This time he received an email letter offering him a longer stay as parent of an Australian resident, and asked him to respond with his preference. He replied immediately saying that he would just like to proceed with the original application.

Two weeks later - nothing. It's sitting in his Immi account with no update.

Do you know what's going on with that kind of thing? And what's the best approach - does he just submit a whole new application?

Hi Badger Lady,

Why does he not take up on the offer?

But aside from that, I have just had a very similar case with a client; I submitted 2 applications for two people travelling at the same time. I had to chase up both, one then came through promptly, after it was chased, and the other just simply fell between the cracks. I then had to act really fast to try to make sure the second applicant was able to travel out at the right time. This has never happened before, so I can only conclude that they are incredibly understaffed or under-trained at the tourist visa processing office at the moment.

The best thing to do is to attack from all sides, especially if your dad's departure date is looming:

You should send an email asking about the delay to both of these email addresses :

eta.london**************

eVisa.Visitors.Helpdesk@border.gov.au

Also, you could try calling the London Europe Service Centre to chat to someone:

http://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/IMMI_contact.html

I hope that helps!

Turns out last year's visa hasn't expired yet, and it was issued for multiple visits with up to 12 months in each visit. So he's going to use that (at least) for this trip.

Hopefully the new one will arrive eventually, in case he takes a trip to NZ or elsewhere over the summer!

BadgerLady please do double check the conditions attached to your dad's tourist visa. I doubt that his visa was issued for stays of up to 12 months at a time, that is quite unusual. Normally the visa is issued for 12 months for stays of up to 3 months at a time only!

They must have thought he's a great tourist!

It says "must not arrive after 20 October 2016"

"travel facility multiple"

and "maximum stay 12 month(s) from the date of each arrival"

The conditions are "no work" and "maximum 3 months study"

I haven't misinterpreted that, have I?

Thanks Westly Russell - we also confirmed this offline :-)

Worth noting for anyone who Googles this thread! If you have the same conditions on your visa, you can almost use it for a two-year stay (as long as you leave Australia and then re-enter before the expiry date).