Holding multiple visas

roryq

I'm currently in the process of getting the prerequisite documents together for the Skills Assessment needed to submit an EOI, and I've booked an IELTS test to maximise the points for my Skilled Migration (as a Software Engineer) application. I'm expecting this process to take a few months from submission of the documents to the ACS and receiving an invitation after submitting the EOI.

I would like to head to Australia in October and I want to buy time while the Skilled Migration is processed I'm wondering if it's possible to

1. Visit Australia initially on an eVisitor visa for a holiday for a few months before I
  2. Re-enter on a Working Holiday visa and find work.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to hold both these visas before I enter the first time without activating both. If it helps I hold dual citizenship and have both an Irish and British passport.

Also regarding the Working Holiday visa, is the requirement for regional work only necessary if I wish to apply for a second year? Or can I spend the full year in work related to my profession until my Skilled Migration is processed?

There is a increasing backlog of applicants in occupational group 2613 (includes Software Engineers) see https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Skil/3-august-2016-round-results

and hence this group will be processed on a pro-rata basis.

In other words it is in your interest to maximise your points score by obtaining 'Superior English' status if you can. IELTS is one path but there are alternatives which many applicants find more fruitful.

It is possible to hold an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) at the same time as another visa but the ETA will be held 'out of effect' until the main visa expires. Is there not more advantage in holding visas sequentially rather than at the same time? You need to be offshore to lodge and be granted an ETA or first stage Working Holiday Visa (417).

The 417 requires that you complete 88 days of 'specified' work in a regional location during your first year in order to apply for an extension into a second year. Software Engineering is not included in the list of specified work and hence if you work in your profession you would only be able to do so for 12 months maximum, with no more than 6 months working for any one employer.

If you receive an invitation to lodge an application under the General Skilled Migration Program (eg 189/190) and you lodge your visa application while in Australia (while on any substantive visa such as the ETA or 417) you will be granted a Bridging A Visa (BVA) which will come into effect if your current visa expires before your 'skilled' visa application is finalised.

If the BVA does come into effect it allows you to work completely unrestricted (anywhere, anytime and for whoever you like), otherwise while your original visa remains in effect you are bound by the conditions of that visa.

Thanks for the information on the application backlogs, that's very useful to know.

I'm looking to hold both simultaneously to avoid having to leave then apply and wait for the WHV (417) to be processed before I can re-enter. I would prefer to leave, then re-enter on the WHV. Then there's less to worry about.

Is it possible that the WHV be held 'out of effect' when entering on the eVisitor? Or can I hold each on separate Passports and manage that way?

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone else is in a similar position, I've asked the embassy and been told that you can't hold two visas simultaneously, and when applying for the Working Holiday Visa you need to list all valid passports so presumably immigration can check for multiple visas.

Archived