Visa for retired parent

richev

Hi,

My wife and I were granted Permanent Resident visas (Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)) earlier this year, and plan to move to Sydney in September.

My mother-in-law has expressed interest in joining us there at some point in the future, so we were hoping to find out is this might be possible and if so what the most appropriate options would be. It looks like some of the parent visas take years to process (up to 30!?), or have a requirement that more than half of the parent's children are living in Australia (my wife has a brother and sister who are living in the UK).

My mother-in-law is around 65, retired, in general good health.

Thanks!

Hi, congratulations on your visa!

It sounds as if your mother in law is not going to be eligible for the parent visa, as more than half of her children are not living permanently in Australia. However, a long term tourist visa (up to 3 years, with 12 months in Australia at a time) could be possible, although she must not spend more than 12 months in any 18, here. Depending on her financial situation, she might aso qualify for an Investor Retirement Visa, which is temporary but can be renewed.

Even if she passed the Balance of Family test, you would need to be "settled" here, before you could sponsor her, that normally requires residence of 2 years.

Regards

Archived